4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 7:19 PM by zendrive

DP35DP: BIOS, Processor + Memory upgrade, Now will not Restart

zendrive

I recently upgraded to the latest BIOS for the motherboard in preparation to install a new processor concurrent with a memory upgrade.

System OS: XP PRO Service Pack 3

Upgraded a Dual Core E6850 to a Quad Core Q9650

Upgraded RAM from (2) sticks of Supertalent 6400 1Gb (5 5 5 15) to (2) sticks of Corsair 6400 2Gb (4 4 4 12)

All programs work properly after upgrade, but there are 2 concerns I have:

The computer will not restart without pushing the power button for 5 seconds after windows shuts down.

I am concerned also about the processors thermal margin of 24 deg C

The core temperatures are between 32-42 degrees C with little running on the computer.  Stress tests bring processors up to 64 degrees C.

I tried swapping new/old memory.  This did not fix the reboot issue.

I upgraded the chipset firmware and reset the CMOS.  This did not fix the reboot issue.  The thermal margin stays at 24 degrees.

I should mention that the computer is used as a Digital Audio Workstation.  I calculated the power supply (thermaltake 575W) should handle all that I have plugged in, my three hard drives and graphics card.

Is there anyone that can assist?

• 1. Re: DP35DP: BIOS, Processor + Memory upgrade, Now will not Restart
          tsarya

I have exactly the same problem.

My configuration is:

1. MB - Intel DP35DP

2. CPU - Intel Pentium E6300 (2.8GHz)

3. RAM - 2x 2GB Corsair DDR2-800

4. VGA - Sapphire Radeon HD4670 Ultimate

5. HDD - 2x Seagate 250GB SATA2

6. WLAN - Edimax EW-7728In PCI card

7. PSU - FSP ATX-350PNF

The issue started when I upgraded my CPU to Pentium E6300. I had flashed the motherboard with the 572 bios revision (from 517) while being with

a Pentium Dual Core E2180 several days before I decided to upgrade. Everything worked fine...

I had to flash back to revision 517 in Recovery mode in order to get rid of the annoying black sreen freeze after restart.

• 2. Re: DP35DP: BIOS, Processor + Memory upgrade, Now will not Restart
            zendrive

Problem Resolved.  Defective processor.  I found it strange that the processor was registering as a Pentium III xeon quad core when it was a Core 2 Quad 9650.

I returned the faulty processor.  Upon installing the new processor, the workstation displayed the same symptoms as before.

I also took tsarya's the advice and tried to revert to an older BIOS (517).  That didnt work well, but I think that path lead me to success!. My computer would not accept the flash .ISO or read the .BIO file.  It would not boot from a USB port, either.

All of my software and XP needed validation afterwards.

I finally uploaded the most current BIOS, cleared the CMOS and the processor works and displays in properties as it should.  Thanks for your responses.

• 3. Re: DP35DP: BIOS, Processor + Memory upgrade, Now will not Restart
              tsarya

Hello zendrive,

could you please tell me if you still have the reboot issue with the 572 bios revision?

Thanks

• 4. Re: DP35DP: BIOS, Processor + Memory upgrade, Now will not Restart
                zendrive

Yes, I am on 572 with no problems whatsoever.

After replacing the processor, I had a lot of problems trying reverting to an older BIOS version (I tried several).  It screwed up my GRUB bootloader (running Fedora 8 and XP Pro)  I can't pinpoint with absolute certianty what the problem really was.  I still suspect that it was the processor, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

My problems seemed to go away after reloading 572 and performing a CMOS reset.  Let me know how it goes.