2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 1:07 AM by Cpt.Dogfruit

Which processor is better Q9000 or I7-720QM?

ahmedhesham3

Can anybody answer my question .. Which processor is better Q9000 or I7-720QM?
      Which processor has a higher clock speed Q9000 or I7-720QM?

I'm confused with the overclocking thing.

• 1. Re: Which processor is better Q9000 or I7-720QM?
          JohnS

Which processor is "better" kind of depends upon what you expect from your laptop. There is a web site you can use to review and compare the features & specs of these two processors side-by-side. Please see the features comparison at the following link: http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=40480,43122.

In general, here are some ways you might differentiate the two processors you are trying to compare.

Differences:

While both of these processors you are asking about are quad core processors, the Intel Core i7-720QM processor features hyperthreading (4 cores, 8 threads) while the Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9000 does not feature hyperthreading (4 cores, 4 thread).

The Q9000 is a 2GHz CPU (max frequency), whereas the 720QM is a 1.6GHz CPU that features Intel turbo boost technology and can run at up to 2.8GHz (max turbo frequency).

These two processors are not socket compatible (not interchangeable). The Intel® Core™2 Quad Mobile Processor (9000) supports the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family. The next generation Intel® Core™ i7 Mobile Processor (i7-720QM) supports the newer Intel® 5 Series Chipset. 

Similarities:

Both of these processors are intended for systems with discrete graphics, they each feature 6MB Cache, and each has a max TDP of 45W.

Processor NumberQ9000i7-720QM
          # of Cores44
          # of Threads48
          Clock Speed2 GHz1.6 GHz
          Max Turbo Frequencyn/a2.8 GHz
          Cache6 MB  L2 Cache6 MB Intel® Smart Cache
          Sockets SupportedPGA478PGA988

John S.
          Intel Customer Support
          *Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

• 2. Re: Which processor is better Q9000 or I7-720QM?
            Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

If you have teh choice and the price difference isn't that much i would for teh i7-729QM, newer technology,  more threads and with turbo boost higher clock speed when needed, probably better power management too.

don't worry about teh overclocking as you don't really do that on a laptop anywyas, normally they won't have teh cooling for it.