0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 1:00 PM by mpbrede

Help me choose a board

mpbrede

Hi guys, I'm kind of new at this. I've upgraded my PCs often and a while back I rebuild one from scratch with a new MB, processor, memory and harddrives (only reused the case and the optical drives of the old one).

Now I"m in the market to build myself a Home Server to wun WIndows Home Server. From everything I can read, I don't need the latest and greatest processor or huge amounts of memory. What I need is a lot of HD connectors, perhaps place for a card to connect an external array of drives (or something like that) and a fast Ethernet connection (Giga-bit Ethernet).

Graphics and sound are secondary. Space is important, I'd like to be able to fit this into a smaller case than a regular ATX case, but then I don't know if I'll be able to fit the envisioned 4 harddrives in the case?

Can someone shed light on wha tthe Intel Media series of motherboards are all about? What sets them apart? I"m asking primarily because my other motherboard is in that series (the DP35DP) and I'm wondering of the smaller form factors in that series is appropriate for a Home server?

Thanks, and I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure there is a lot of stuff I'm not telling you that you should know, but then I'm just starting out on this route.