8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 6:04 PM by barracuda

Can we have the fix for the scaling problem on DN2820FYKH already?

barracuda

Hey so I just build this Intel NUC DN2820FYKH with Version# H22962-104 a of couple days ago. I'm currently running a dual boot OpenELEC (x86-64 Linux Kodi) and Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.

However I've noticed that under Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, I can't get the display to scale to fullscreen on any resolution lower than 1920x1080p. It just hangs in the center, without any option of scaling in the Intel Display settings. I'm using the May 2015 bundle drivers for Windows 7 64-bit.

In contrary, OpenELEC scales the display correctly on any resolution. Talking about Linux drivers!

Seems that the issue has been around at least since May 2014. So can we have the fix for the scaling problem already?

1) 1920x1080 in Windows 7 64-bit.

win7-1.JPG

2) 1280x720 in Windows 7 64-bit. No option on scaling other than "Center Image". It's just a small image in the center of the screen. Not very useful, isn't it?

win7-2.JPG

3) 1920x1080 in OpenELEC.

oe-1.JPG

4) 1280x720 in OpenELEC. Whoa! This is how it should be done. Exact same setup with Windows 7 64-bit; TV, settings, cable..

oe-2.JPG

5) 720x480 in OpenELEC. Sure the graphics are horribly jaggy. But they are full screen, and that's happiness!

oe-3.JPG

• 1. Re: Can we have the fix for the scaling problem on DN2820FYKH already?
          hansb_intel

Hi barracuda,

I tried replicating this with the same NUC model with windows 7 64, resolution 1280 x 720 and I had not problems scaling the image. Please let me know what is the BIOS version as well as the graphic driver version that you have installed.

clip.jpg

• 2. Re: Can we have the fix for the scaling problem on DN2820FYKH already?
            barracuda

Hi Hansb, thanks for the response. I'm currently running BIOS version installed from FYBYT10H.86A.0050.EB, and Intel HD Graphics version 10.18.10.4176.

I'm surprised that the "Maintain Display Scaling" shows up on your display. Are you connecting through HDMI? Is that a real TV or are you cheating by using a TV-like monitor

During my initial setup of the NUC, I was connecting it to a 22" Samsung monitor using HDMI-to-DVI adapter. Now I hardly recall whether that option was there when selecting lower resolution. But at some point, I think I was testing a game running at lower resolution and it was running fullscreen. I can try it later today to check.

So at least it seems that the "feature" is there! Is there any log from the graphics driver that I can send to you for debugging? I do not have expertise in HDMI connectivity, but maybe something like handshake or information flag was causing the driver to discard the "feature", thus removing the option from the control panel?

Now I'm thinking of a stupid idea of using a HDMI-to-DVI and DVI-back-to-HDMI for connecting to my LG TV. I don't have a DVI-to-HDMI adapter now but I can order one. Sure, I'll lose HDMI audio but I run a USB DAC anyway with the NUC. Maybe it will help as temporary workaround...

• 3. Re: Can we have the fix for the scaling problem on DN2820FYKH already?
              barracuda

Allright, so I managed to connect the NUC to my Samsung 22" with an HDMI-to-DVI adapter.

1) 1920x1080. Nothing unusal here, of course.

sam-1.JPG

2) 1280x720. Now the "Maintain Display Scaling" is there! Display is fullscreen with the option selected.

sam-2.JPG

3) 1024x768. The "Maintain Display Scaling" is still there!

sam-3.JPG

4) 800x600. This resolution surpises me, no option for "Maintain Display Scaling" It's just 800x600 image centered in a 1920x1080 screen.

sam-4.JPG

5) A game running in 640x480. Streched automatically, with display resolution in 640x480.

sam-5.JPG

Now I'm getting curious. Hence I don't think my stupid idea of HDMI-to-DVI and DVI-back-to-HDMI again for the LG TV would work.

Is the Intel HD Graphics hardware relying on the display capabilities to perform the fullscreen scaling?

• 4. Re: Can we have the fix for the scaling problem on DN2820FYKH already?
                hansb_intel

Hi barracuda,

I’ll try to replicate this issue with another TV, just to see if I can get the same behavior, I’ll let you know as soon as I have more information.

• 5. Re: Can we have the fix for the scaling problem on DN2820FYKH already?
                  barracuda

I know what we want from Intel graphics driver team. The ability to perform software-scaling on non-native display resolution.

There will be 2 scenarios for this:

(1) Scenarios in which scaling quality does not matter -- i.e. the non-native resolution are only being used occassionally. This is useful for temporary resolution switching when playing games on underpowered hardware, in which running the game on the native resolution would result in poor graphics performance. In this case, we don't really care about the scaling quality -- using the fastest algorithm to scale it even with not-so-good results is fine. The idea is not to overtax the CPU/GPU when doing the scaling. Bilinear or even nearest-neighbor interpolation is adequate for this.

(2) Scenarios in which scaling quality matters -- the non-native resolution will always be used the entire time. The primary use will be for a non-graphics intensive uses. Perhaps an old business application in which its accessiblity suffers when running it on native display resolution. More advanced interpolation for better quality scaling can be used for this.

Thus, the options on the Scaling menu on the displays without hardware scaling functionalities can be made like this:

- Center Image

- Maintain Display Scaling (Software, Low-quality)

- Maintain Display Scaling (Software, High-quality)

But no, you can't charge for Change Requests to Intel NUC owners

• 6. Re: Can we have the fix for the scaling problem on DN2820FYKH already?
                    jmontagu13

I have noticed this for years with my Samsung DLP TV, even on i5 or i7 processors in normal desktop builds. I've always had to have a cheap Nvidia card to handle the over/under scanning as the Intel drivers will not let me scale. However, the same computer will allow me to scale on 3 other TV's that I've tried, just not the Samsung DLP.

Like you, I wish they would allow that option for all TVs as every other graphics card that I've tried (ATI/AMD, nVidia, etc) works just fine on any of the TVs, including the DLP.

• 7. Re: Can we have the fix for the scaling problem on DN2820FYKH already?
                      hansb_intel

Hi barracuda,

We have an update regarding this issue. We had sent this to our graphics team and this seems to be a known behavior.

The BIOS supports single panel fitter scaling only. So in extended mode HDMI will have center image option only.

If the panel supports 800x600 in its EDID, then Maintain display scaling (MDS) option is seen. If it is not in EDID mode you may not see MDS.

Its expected behavior and “Center Image” and “Maintain Display Scaling” depends on different monitors and resolutions.

• 8. Re: Can we have the fix for the scaling problem on DN2820FYKH already?
                        barracuda

Hi hansb, thanks, I appreciate your effort to followup this issue to Intel graphics team.

However, I'll make it straight that "Center Image" is a broken requirements. There's no circumstances that a user would want to have small display image centered on a nearest EDID resolution.

So, either (1) add appropriate graphics hardware capability to scale the image to the nearest EDID resolution, or (2) add support for software scaling through the graphics driver. The latter is what I believe the Linux graphics driver is doing, I can see that the scaling algorithm is not a best quality ones, possibly to avoid lots of performance loss.

I don't like the fact that keeping the NUC will make it a factor to judge my next TV purchase in the future.

Not until Intel can define human interaction requirements, before it can upscale from the "so-hardware" processor business.