8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2009 2:53 PM by beeyesem

Processors and Boards Compatibility of RAM?

beeyesem

My Desktop Board is INTEL D845GVAD2, P4. I am currently using 256MB RAM, would like to increase it to 1GB.

Want to know does it support it? or How much RAM does this board supports.

• 1. Re: Processors and Boards Compatibility of RAM?
          beeyesem

Also for Desktop Board D845GVA2.  Does Desktop Board D845GVAD2 and Desktop Board D845GVA2 are of same family?

What kind of RAM i need to use DDR SD RAM?

• 2. Re: Processors and Boards Compatibility of RAM?
            racefanatic

Check out this link http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845gvad2/sb/cs-008829.htm this should help,

To answer your second post simply go to Intel.com and type in the board id and search for this info....

• 3. Re: Processors and Boards Compatibility of RAM?
              ntesla

It uses PC 2700 or PC 3200 SDRAM DIMM, 184 pin, 2.5 Volt, Non ECC, Cas= 2-2.5 is faster memory. The cheapest way is to install two 512 MB modules. The cheapest source for this that I have found is:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147%201052307857%201052107965%201052407862&name=DDR%20400%20%28PC%203200%29  I also have a 845 board and that's how I know about the memory, hope that helps you. You will find that installing 1 GB does help a bunch, but the board has it's limits when you are trying to watch videos, etc...It's OK for office applications.

• 4. Re: Processors and Boards Compatibility of RAM?
                beeyesem

Thanks for the infor.

Mostly i will try to buy only 512MB SD RAM.

Would like to know the diff betn DDR SD and DDR1or DDR2 or DDR3?

• 5. Re: Processors and Boards Compatibility of RAM?
                  ntesla

DDR 1 or DDR is the same sodimm s dram. DDR2 and DDR3 will not work on that board. ECC memory will not work either. 2 & 3 are faster and can handle multiple tasks at the same time. This board was built before that memory standard was invented. Hence, you cannot expect the 845 board to do all the things, or work as fast as a newer board. I realize now that I can buy a better board and processor for $139.

The older memory like this is more expensive and slower. It might be more worth it to replace the board and processor, put it in the old case, and use the old power supply, old drives. It's almost not worth it to upgrade an 845 board, but I did, and I used it for years afterwords, it's actually a good board for office applications. The memory you want is going to cost about $45 if you buy it online.

• 6. Re: Processors and Boards Compatibility of RAM?
                    racefanatic

check out this http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845gvad2/sb/cs-008829.htm this will tell you wht type/kind of memory you can use,,and i beg to differ with the last commit ,,,regular ddr is normaly 184 pin running at 400-533mps,,DDR2 is 240 pin like DDR3,,DDR2 is normaly 400-800mps and DDR3 is normaly 800-1600mps all using different voltages,,and so fourth,,it is best to check on Intels site for your board for the most updated info for it,,if you do this it will save you alot of time on here,,my board is the D845PEBT2 came with a 1,8Ghz cpu and 512mg memory running at 266,,but I found that I could go up to 2gig of memory and setp up to a 3.06ghz cpu and get to memory up to 533,,this is just as good if not better than most pc's you could buy today,, once you figure out what will or will not work for your board let me know i have found some good site with inexpensive parts,,,

• 7. Re: Processors and Boards Compatibility of RAM?
                      racefanatic

Ok sorry I was a little off on those figures trying to use my head again,,,,so I did a google on this and foud what  Ithis is what your looking for,,,but still you will need to look up yor board on Intel to see what will work,,,,

SD, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 are all different types of RAM (Random Access Memory). RAM is a kind of computer memory that temporarily stores information, improving your systems performance. Or in other words RAM simply holds data for the processor. The processor also has its own memory known as the L2 cache, the cache lies between the processor and the RAM. The processor sends and retrieves data from this cache, when this cache overflows data is sent to the RAM.

There are mainly four types of RAM; SD, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3. They differ in the way they operate and mainly in their operation speeds. All RAM's used in computers today have a synchronous interface meaning they wait for a clock signal before it can respond to clock signals.

SD RAM:

SDRAM stands for synchronous dynamic random access memory. SDRAM is Single Data Rate meaning that SDRAM can accept one command and transfer one word of data per clock cycle. As mentioned above SDRAM's have synchronous interface therefore they depend on the computer clock signals to perform operations. Typical speeds of SDRAM are 100 and 133 MHz.

DDR SDRAM:

DDR SDRAM stands for double data rate synchronous dynamic random access memory. DDR RAM transfers data twice per clock cycle, hence the name double data rate. DDR clock speeds range between 200 MHz (DDR-200) and 400 MHz (DDR-400). DDR-200 transfers 1600 MB/s, while DDR-400 transfers 3200 MB/s.

DDR2 SDRAM:

DDR2 SDRAM stands for double data rate 2 synchronous dynamic random access memory.DDR2 is twice as fast as DDR which means twice as much data is carried to the module for each clock cycle. Also due to the design improvements DDR2 consumes less power as compared to the DDR memory. DDR2 speeds range between 400 MHz (DDR2-400) and 800 MHz (DDR2-800). DDR2-400 transfers 3200 MB/s. DDR2-800 transfers 6400 MB/s.

DDR3 SDRAM:

So by now after reading the above it is quite obvious what DDR3 SDRAM stands for, double data rate 3 synchronous dynamic random access memory. In theory DDR3 is supposed to act twice as fast as DDR2 memories. Thus DDR3 speeds range between 800 MHz (DDR3-800) and 1600 MHz (DDR3-1600). DDR3-800 transfers 6400 MB/s; DDR3-1600 transfers 12800 MB/s.

Only gamers may notice the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 speeds, while for everyone else, even DDR will be sufficient. But if you are buying a new PC spending a little extra for the increased speed is always appreciated.
                      But in the end it all depends on your requirements and your budget. DDR3 will cost a lot more than DDR2, also for DDR3 speeds you will also need a motherboard that can support it, so if you are planning on upgrading your RAM to DDR3 you should be certain that your motherboard can support it. If your requirements do not involve heavy gaming or video editing and video processing then you have no need for the powerful DDR3 memory.

• 8. Re: Processors and Boards Compatibility of RAM?
                        beeyesem

Thanks a lot for all the information and support .

I brought DDR1- 512MB 333MHz for ~ $ 20 - make was Dynet - My system was very fast compared my 256 MB which was Hynix 333AG, PC266

Even i brought DDR1 - 1GB RAM 333MHz for ~ 40 - Make was Dynet - System is slow compared to 512MB RAM

Currently i am using 256MB DDR SD RAM, PC 266, Hynix 333AG along with 1GB DDR1 RAM, 333MHz

Cost of the DDR1 256MB or 512MB or 1GB RAM with speed 266MHz or 333 MHz are very high, as they are old or no more production ........Likely my board supported the DDR1 RAM. As the Speed 433MHz.....& more cost the RAM are cheaper.

i noticed in the Mother board manual D845GVAD2 it is mentioned that supports DDR1 - 1GB RAM 333MHz, but speed will be 266MHz.

When i check my System Information, i notice that SYSTEM MODEL AS - D845GVA2, does such a model existed?

I tried in google search and in Intel support site also i didnot find this SYSTEM MODEL AS - D845GVA2 very strange.