0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2009 5:35 AM by CoronaBVW

DG45ID + 9800GT = 2GB RAM lost

CoronaBVW

Hi,

I have discovered a problem with my DG45ID. It appears to be a bug in the BIOS introduced with revision 0079 and up. I have enumerated the steps below in order to be as clear as possible with my explanation:

1. Obtain a DG45ID desktop board with BIOS revision 0077

2. Install 4GB (4 x 1GB) Kingston RAM

3. Install a 9800GT video card

4. Install a core-2 quad processor

5. Boot into BIOS screen and observe that 4 GB of RAM is correctly installed

6. Boot into Windows XP 32-bit, go to task manager and observe that approx 3.2 GB of RAM is available (this is correct due to hardware mapping).

7. Update the BIOS to *any* revision above 0077

8. Boot into BIOS screen and observe that 4 GB of RAM is correctly installed

9. Boot into Windows XP 32-bit, go to task manager and observe that now only 2 GB of RAM is available (this is incorrect).

With any BIOS revision above 0077, a 512MB video card shadows 2 gigs of ram. I understand that a 32-bit OS can only address 4 GB of memory and that some of this will be taken up by other system resources. However, two whole GB should not be lost to a 1/2 GB video card. This problem does NOT arise with BIOS 0077.

The only way I could solve this issue was by downgrading the BIOS back to revision 0077. With every other revision, the 2GB was lost.

Any ideas, or is this just an undiscoevered BIOS bug?