4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2009 5:46 PM by tczachor

DG33FB will not find a bootable device

tczachor

I have a DG33FB MB, was working fine. I plugged in a new SATA HD to install Win7. Started the install, WIn7 had an error it could not complete and to restart the machine. got to the same point again. Plugged in my original SATA, it will not boot! I tried booting from my SATA DVD-ROM, IDE DVD-ROM, and any device I try and boot from states 'A bootable device could not be found' and refers me to the Intel site. I can get in to CMOS, it sees my HD, and both DVD's, I can change boot sequence, but it will not boot!!

Any suggestions? I have pulled my CMOS battery, stil no boot.

thanks

• 1. Re: DG33FB will not find a bootable device
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Check if your processor is on the compatibility list and make sure to check which bios version does the board requires for the cpu to work properly:

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?Boardname=DG33FB

Then make sure that the memory you are using has the features as mentionned on this page:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg33fb/sb/cs-026593.htm

Note: Changing the memory voltage and speed may affect the board and void your warranty.

If both of these components meet the requirements, then continue to the next steps.

1. Disconnect the POWER cable and remove the CMOS battery for at least 10 minutes.

2. Put back the battery and power cable and remove the memory. Power ON the system.
              Does the board issue any beeps? If yes, how many?

3.Move the bios jumper to Configuration Mode, power on the system

Does it power on into the bios?

4. If yes, then try a bios recovery using a formatted USB media.

Instructions for Recovery BIOS Updates
          In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. The recovery process requires the chassis to be opened to remove the onboard BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          WARNING: This process is intended to be performed by a trained technician.
          Recovery with Formatted USB Stick

1. Download and Copy the latest recovery file (*.bio) to a formatted usb disk.
          2. Place the usb disk in the target system.
          3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.
          4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
          5. Power the system on.
          6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete. When the usb drive LED is lit, the system is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device.
          7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the system.
          8. Remove usb disk
          9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          10. Restart system.

Note: these can be found on:
          Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17197/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf
          Page 3

Regards,
          Aryan.

• 2. Re: DG33FB will not find a bootable device
            tczachor

MB/CPU/RAM are all ok, have been for about 1 year I've been using this machine.

This all happened after I installed Windows 7

I just too the SATA drive with Win7, plugged it in and it booted, finished the install, and I am writing this from Win7, but... I cannot boot from my previous SATA hard drive, it says no boot device available. It's like Win7 took over and won't let anything else boot. I still can't boot from CD either.

• 3. Re: DG33FB will not find a bootable device
              Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

Lets start form scratch shall we? right now you have one HDD Sata that you have Win7 on and can boot from right? and you have what else 2 DVD drives and another Sata HDD which you cannot boot from?

Am i right so far?

IF so lets get rid of the SATA HDD that you have win7 and can boot from. Lets start with the other one. LEts leave onedvd drive and the HDD and try to install an OS.Do you have any original OS  CD to install from?

What version of Win7 are you using?

• 4. Re: DG33FB will not find a bootable device
                tczachor

I finally got it working. Updated the bios and I was able to boot my orig HD, and boot from CD's

For future reference:

I had a SATA HD, 1 SATA DVD & 1 IDE DVD. I unhooked my HD, plugged in a new SATA HD, installed Win 7 (X64). I almost finished the installe, had an error it couldn't complete the configuration, reboot. I rebooted, same error. Plugged in my original SATA HD, then I got the A bootable device was not found error. Tried booting from the Win7 CD I just used, same error in both drives.I unplugged ALL of my drives, tried one at a time, HD & DVD's, still the same error. Plugged in the Win7 HD, it completed the install, was working fine. I connected both DVD drives, both would read discs fine. Tried to boot from a CD, would not. Plugged inthe original HD, still no boot.

I was able to update the BIOS using recovery mode, and can now boot from my orig HD and CD's. No idea what happened, but I did see when I did the BIOS update, it says the Intel Management engine did not initialize.