12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2011 4:24 AM by

Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?

lightYear

I just installed Windows 7 Professional tonight (gained access to the software from MSDNAA) and everything went without a hitch until I got to trying to use my Intel 4965 card. I found the driver and software from the Intel site for Windows Vista, 32 bit and installed the driver first (maybe I should reveal that W7 actually knew how to use the card fine 'out of the box' as I was connected to my wireless network immediately after install). Anyway, when I installed the PROset software afterwards, I looked for the familiar "fan" signal icon in the systray and it wasn't there. I figured maybe I had to activate that wireless manager as it appeared as Windows was still running the show.

Over an hour later I am at my wit's end. I have gone into the network settings multiple times, right clicked the systray icon for the wireless network... everything - yet I cannot disable the Windows wireless manager to get the PROset working. What's worse, I can't even find the PROset configuration utility. I can see the Start Menu group but it only gives me "Wifi Advanced Statistics" and "Wifi Manual Diagnostics". It's the same thing when I go to PROset in the control panel. I reinstalled the software file a second time and there's no change. The file was obtained from: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17753&ProdId=2753&lang=eng.

This is so frustrating, as I LOVE using the PROset utility (that's why I bought the card). I searched windows help for a long time before I found information about the wireless manager - but all it says is that network cards often install and run their own software and then gives instructions on how to re-enable Windows managment. I was able to use that information to confirm that Windows is indeed the wireless manager.

So, is it that the Vista 32bit software package is not appropriate for W7 (everything else is) or am I missing something? There's no information that I can find using Google because W7 is so new. The only thing I could find was from http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-030472.htm that says "What if I have Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility installed on my PC that I am going to upgrade to Windows* 7?
      First uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility. Then upgrade to Windows 7, which will automatically install the new wireless driver." which I found strange because it goes from talking about the connection utility to just saying the driver will be installed.

Any help would be appreciated - I already hate the windows wireless management with a passion because I can't select anything else to use.

• 1. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?
          ak79

Well im stuck in the same position as you so if anyone knows how to resolve this it will be much appreciated

Just a quick update i stopped the wlan autoconfig service from the services menu under computer management in administrative tools and then reinstalled the intel connection utilty and all it did was restart the wlan autoconfig and still no intel connection utilty. This in the past has worked in vista but to me it seems only the windows wireless management can be used on windows 7.

• 2. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?
            lightYear

^^ Really?! You don't know how much better that makes me feel, as strange as that sounds. I don't know if it was just too long a day for me and I was over-tired or what but the whole time I was dealing with the issue was more frustrating than anything I've had to deal with on a computer for a long time. I also think it had something to do with not being able to do something as "easily" as I could in XP.

So from what I saw and what you're describing it seems as if you can install the PROset software package but are limited to just the two "tools" it provides (statistics and diagnostics). The actual connection utility is nowhere to be found. It took a while for me to realize that, but it's probably why we can't shut off the Windows wireless management or choose the PROset management. I can understand them wanting us to use the W7 management but to install the software and have it not even be there... that's strange. I thought pretty much anything designed for Vista would run on Windows 7?

• 3. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?
              ak79

I haven't tried it yet but try disabling wlan autoconfig, uninstall intel PROset and then reinstall intel PROset but before you do right click it and let the program run in adminstration mode & make it backward compatible to vista. See if this works will try it out later on.

• 4. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?
                acali18

Has anyone figured this out? it has been driving me crazy and I keep thinking I need to download something else.   Can we get an update please?

• 5. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?
                  lightYear

I was just going to log in today and update. Last night I was curious and decided to try again. This time, when I went to find software for my 4965AGN card using the usual product lookup method on the Intel download pages I was excited to see new listings for Windows 7 Professional, 32 and 64 bit flavors.

The 32 bit download page with details is located: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18213&ProdId=2753&lang=eng

The 64 bit download page with details is located: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18240&ProdId=2753&lang=eng

The new release dates for both are 10/21 and 10/22 - just in time for everyone to get Windows 7 up and running. I got the 32 bit version I needed and installed it over the previous Vista version I had installed. It verified the update process and went through alright - but when it was all done I was staring blankly at the systray waiting for the good old familiar "fan" icon of the PROset utility. It wasn't there. Windows was still in charge of my wireless connection with its default utility.

Thinking it was perhaps the installing of one version on top of another, I uninstalled the entire utility altogether. I rebooted and turned off my wireless adapter in Windows, as well as turning off the hard/physical switch on my laptop (for wireless connections). I installed the new PROset software again, with the same results. Both times, all I get in my Windows Start Menu group for the Intel Proset Wireless (and in the control panel) are three options for checking status, logs, and something else (I'm at work so I can't remember all three). None of them were the configuration and management utility. What's funnier is that one of those screens allows me the option to import the wireless configuration profile (extension .p10) like the connectio nutility we're used to.

So either I'm doing something wrong OR Windows 7 will not let Intel PROSet manage the connection OR there is no PROSet wireless connection utility for W7 yet. It's a shame as I abhor Windows 7 management of the wireless network.

Maybe I have it wrong... maybe what I'm downloading isn't the right package but it is the only listing under "Software" for my Intel 4965agn card. What I, and what I believe many of you, are looking for is this: http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/wireless/proset/proset_software.htm  for Windows 7. Where the heck is it, if it exists?

• 6. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?
                    acali18

I have downloaded everything and anything that might lead to solving this issue with no luck. I tried the windows 7 drivers provided by intel without luck as well.   I have the intel proset wireless menu in under my 'all programs' menu but it provides me with 4 features, none of which will manage the wireless networks, they only seem to have options and settings that control the network card or something.  I can't say what they are right now because I am at school and my laptop is at home, if anyone is curious ill post them later today.

For a few years now I have been using intel proset wireless on my laptop with xp and this weekend I was so excited to install windows 7.  I get the feeling that windows 7 doesn't allow any other application to manage the wireless networks. I feel like the drivers and software I installed would be enough and would be compatible, but windows just won't allow it.  That's just my two cents.

Im gona keep this thread updated with my findings, and I'll probably post everything I've tried, but I'm not so confident that this can be resolved.

I really did enjoy using intel proset wireless opposed to the windows wireless manager on xp and I really hope that I, or someone else, can figure this out.

• 7. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?
                      lightYear

I hear you on that. I just wish I knew for sure if the PROset utility just isn't there because it is not actually being installed or not. That might explain why neither you or I see any configuration shortcut in the program menu. It certainly does appear that it's not even a part of the installed software from Intel, so it may not necessarily be that WIndows 7 is overriding the wireless management.

The only other information I can find while Googling around regarding the PROset software and Windows 7 are a few random blurbs about the fact that some people HAVE to uninstall the PROset program when installing WIndows 7. We can speculate as to why that is but it's still not a sure answer on the status of the why it's currently not working on W7.

• 8. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?
                        ak79

I tried installing new win 7 drivers but no joy but hey i get a 3rd option which is also worthless. In fact i think win 7 is generally worthless when it comes to driver software my bluetooth is stuck with generic driver which i cant even update i give up.

• 9. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?
                          tpgrec

Hello,

I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this question may have created.  Please note the explanation provided below.  It will soon be added as a Q&A on http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-030472.htm, which is accessible from our active Intel® wireless product pages.

Why does Intel® PROSet software on Windows 7* and Windows Vista* appear differently than on Windows* XP?
                          Beginning with the launch of Windows Vista*, and carried over to Windows 7*, Intel® PROSet software does not provide the same graphical user interface (GUI) look and feel as Windows* XP.  Microsoft's Native Wi-Fi* controls basic wireless profile configurations like WEP, WPA-Personal, and WPA2-Personal.  You may install Intel® PROSet software to create more advanced profiles using EAP and Cisco CCX*.  The software utility also offers an IT Admin Tool, statistics, diagnostics and a troubleshooting tool.  You can access these features from Start > All Programs.

Thank you,

Tony

Intel Customer Support

Worldwide Product Support Engineer

• 10. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?

Thanks Tony but your answer is just useless. We already knew that, as you can read in this topic. I could understand that W7 took control over the wifi card if W7 had the same features of Intel ProSet Wireless Connection utility but it doesn't! There's an importart feature wich misses: with Intel ProSet you could set the wifi card to work just like an AP - Access Point! But now with W7, you can't... This is really a pity =(

• 11. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?

same here... win 7 ultimate 64bits

any news?

• 12. Re: Is there a PROset wireless connection utility for Windows 7?

I have the Intel ProSet/Wireless tools installed on Windows 7 professional, it has the 4 options mentioned earlier (statistics, diagnose, viewer, import profiles) but it behaves like my PC doesn't have a wireless card, while Windows wifi manager is connected to a wireless network.

The card is an Intel Ultimane-N 6300 AGN with proper drivers, so where's the trick?