Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14504 Discussions

Processor Upgrade Question

idata
Employee

I currently have a 2.5 year old Gateway FX510S PC with an Intel E6600 Core2Duo processor. I would like some more processing power and was hoping to swap out the current CPU with a faster one. My motherboard is a Gateway OEM version of the Intel Lavacot 975X motherboard (shows as OEMD975XLAG1). The Gateway spec sheet says it has an LGA775 socket with a bus speed of 1066MHz. Gateway won't provide me with any information at all (they want me to call Gateway "Answers" for $2.99/min or whatever they charge which I refuse to do on principle). Can anyone provide any assistance as to whether a CPU upgrade is possible and if so, what Core2Duo processor(s) I can replace my E6600 with. Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

jonathangtp-

Intel has a nifty tool to match boards/chipsets with compatible processors using your chipset the tool provided the following results:

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology,

Intel® Pentium® D processor,

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technology,

Intel® Extreme Edition,

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor,

Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor

This is the link to your results: http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=143&familyID=10&culture=en-US

In my opinion your best bet is the Core 2 EE.

GL

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Where is this tool to match chipsets, boards with compadable processors?

can you post a link to find it?

Thanks, N.T.

0 Kudos