3 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 12:43 PM by kevin_intel

2 X 640GB SATA 3gb/s 7200 RPM raid drives Windows 7 wont boot

Sham01

I have a Dell i7-870 processor with (2 x 640gb SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM drive in a raid configuration.  The system will no longer boot successful.  The boot process starts and then just shutdown.  The raid drives status is VERIFY.  I had this same problem several months ago and was told to down grade the driver 12.x.   How can I get this system to boot without losing data?

• 1. Re: 2 X 640GB SATA 3gb/s 7200 RPM raid drives Windows 7 wont boot
          kevin_intel

Hello Sham01,

There are many things that can be affecting your system on the booting process.

Based on your description, the volume is fine since it is not FAILED. Depending on the volume you have you can save the information. If you have RAID 1 you can set the Disks to non raid, save all information and reinstall the Operating System but if you have any other type of RAID by setting the disks to non raid all information will be lost.

My best recommendation is to contact Dell directly and request support from their side since your computer may require special configuration.

Kevin M

• 2. Re: 2 X 640GB SATA 3gb/s 7200 RPM raid drives Windows 7 wont boot
            Sham01

Kevin,

I worked with Dell with no avail.  We tried everything, Windows System Recovery Disk, Windows Install CD, receding the memory card, etc.   The system would get to a point and just power down. The BIOS was the same.  I change the BIOS configuration and Selection SAVE/EXIT.  After a minute or so, the system would power down.  When Dell gave up,  I went to the Boot to Utility Partition and tried the option under Test System, Symptom Tree, and ran Cannot Boot The OS.  It ran for many hours but when completed the system boot successful.

After running Cannot Boot The OS,  the pass two days, I can now boot successfully tonight.   However, the problem is not resolved.  I believe I have an issue somewhere in the chipset that causes the system to power down. While I have the system available, what can I run to help isolate this problem?

• 3. Re: 2 X 640GB SATA 3gb/s 7200 RPM raid drives Windows 7 wont boot
              kevin_intel

This sounds as a power source issue. Also, as much as possible test another power supply in your computer. My recommendation is to save all information in case the HDD may not work properly or creating the Raid volume can also help.

Kevin M