4 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2015 6:16 PM by CMata_Intel

USB device mode with mini breakout board?

xdkb4w

I'm working with a borrowed Edison and mini breakout board (EDI1BB.AL.K).

I'd like to return it to its owner in exactly the state I received it. I understand that the device can operate in USB "device mode", and that I should be able to see the Edison's flash as a peripheral on my desktop when it's in this mode. I'm planning to just image the flash device before messing with it too much.

The Arduino breakout boards have a hardware switch to effect this mode.

How can I do the same with the mini breakout board?

I've got it connected to my desktop with two cables of the sort that come with Android phones, bluetooth earbuds, etc... My understanding is that these cables should NOT trigger USB OTG mode in the Edison, and that it should do what I want.

I've been connecting the FTDI console first (J3), and then the other USB connection (J16). When I make the second connection, the board springs to life, and in short order, U-Boot is loading a Linux kernel, which suggests to me that I've missed the window for "device mode".

What am I missing?

• 1. Re: USB device mode with mini breakout board?
          CMata_Intel

Hi xdkb4w

In order to use the USB port in the mini breakout board as an OTG port you need to connect to it a USB cable type A, and in order to use as "device mode" you need an USB cable type B.

Some questions:

1. Are you able to see something in your PC?

2. Which OS are you using?

3. Are you able to see something in the Device Manager(if you are on Windows)?

4. Did you install the needed drivers?

You can try by using different cables or another USB port on your PC.

Regards;

CMata

• 2. Re: USB device mode with mini breakout board?
            xdkb4w
            in order to use as "device mode" you need an USB cable type B

Based on my description, would you say that I am using the correct cable? I also have some USB OTG adapters, am able to leverage USB NICs, storage, hubs, etc... when using those cables.

Are you able to see something in your PC?

I see the system initialization stuff on the FTDI console (this is the other cable)

Which OS are you using?

OSX and Linux

Did you install the needed drivers?

I'm expecting the device to appear as a USB mass storage device. I believe that every modern OS already has drivers for this built right in. Are you saying that there's a driver needed to accomplish the same thing that the Arduino board's SW1 appears to do? One that enables the storage feature, perhaps? Would you please elaborate?

During boot-up, the mini-breakout board presents 3 devices to the host PC:

Shortly after power-up, USB 0x8086/0xe005 appear. It vanishes at "*** Ready to receive application ***"

Then, at "GADGET DRIVER: usb_dnl_dfu", I find USB 0x8087/0x0a99. This vanishes at "Starting kernel..."

Finally, USB 0x0525/0xa4a2 appears. This one is probably related to a network-over-usb function, and unrelated to my problem.

BTW, it's really neat that Intel's USB vendor id is 8086. Ha!

• 3. Re: USB device mode with mini breakout board?
              CMata_Intel

Hi xdkb4w

Yes, you are using the correct cable, type B.

Have you tried to use another cable and another USB port in your PC?  If you can, try with a 2.0 USB port

If you only want to flash the image and have it with a clean/factory image you can run the flashall.sh script.

Re: Intel edison problem with reflashing on Linux

If the problem is not solved by changing the cables and ports it could be related to a software issue and running the flashall script should fix it too.

Regards;

CMata

• 4. Re: USB device mode with mini breakout board?
                CMata_Intel

Hi xdkb4w

Do you have updates in this? Have you been able to see the board as a device in your PC?

Regards;

CMata