11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 8:11 AM by MarkOg

NodeJS documentation MRAA

MarkOg

So far I've only been able to find the C/C++ and Python documentation for MRAA.

Is there a list available of all commands and reserved keyword by MRAA?

I'm missing a list of keywords and functions. I hope there are more functions available than available in the examples.

I'm also interested in changing the frequency of the I2C bus, but I have no idea what the required function is.

Such information should be available in the documentation. However, there seems to be no NodeJS documentation for MRAA.

So, where's the NodeJS MRAA documentation?

Message was edited by: Mark Oglev

• 1. Re: NodeJS documentation MRAA
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi MarkOg,

All the documentation related to MRAA is here: intel-iot-devkit/mraa · GitHub. There you will find the source code so you can check all the functions and reserved keywords available in the library.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: NodeJS documentation MRAA
            MarkOg

If that's all the documentation available, the library is doomed.

"There is no explicit nodejs API documentation, see the examples. The API itself is very similar to the python one but with a js syntax. If you know of an autodoc tool for generating nodejs APIs from a native C++ nodejs extension please get in touch!"

Is there any ETA on additional documentation for the NodeJS layer specifically? The examples cover next to nothing and Python differs more from NodeJS than the documentation indicates.

• 3. Re: NodeJS documentation MRAA
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi MarkOg,

The MRAA library has been written by @arfoll so I can't tell you if the documentation and the current examples will be improved. Originally, the library was written in C/C++ so you will probably find more examples and documentation for this programming language. You could use this C/C++ for your application: mraa: Main Page

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: NodeJS documentation MRAA
                MarkOg

Hi Diego,

C/C++ is not an option at this moment. The communication with the Edison is in HTTP, JSON format. NodeJS was supposed to be the lingua franca from 'network' to I2C.

• 5. Re: NodeJS documentation MRAA
                  DiegoV_Intel

Hi MarkOg,

Unfortunately all the information about MRAA library is in the links I posted above. The library is frequently updated (the latest version can be found here: mraa-upm-stable-repo/) but I don't know if there will be updates in the examples too.

Regards,

Diego.

• 6. Re: NodeJS documentation MRAA
                    MarkOg

I'm not asking for examples, I'm asking for documentation of the library.

If this would have been somebodies hobby project, I'd forgive him/her for lacking documentation on one language of the four used.

You guys are Intel. I'd assume Intel has better project procedures which catch a lack of documentation like this. It might be they're still working on it, which is fine I guess. But I'd assume somebody knows if they are working on it. If nobody knows, they probably aren't or there's a flaw in the project.

• 7. Re: NodeJS documentation MRAA
                      DiegoV_Intel

Hi MarkOg,

Edison supports Node.js and other programming languages, like Python, but we don't provide documentation about a programming language itself or a particular library because they are not specifically for Edison. Regarding the MRAA library, it is a library used in other platforms like Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black. You can usually find documentation regarding the programming language or a library in the web, however there are some libraries like MRAA that are made by a single user so the documentation is limited to the one made by the owner. In this case, the documentation available for MRAA is found here: intel-iot-devkit/mraa · GitHub. The user has published this information so other users can access it. The source code which is written in C can be checked by other users and modify it as they wish. He has ported the library to be used with Edison and has made it compatible with other programming languages like Python and Node.js. This means that all the documentation regarding MRAA is in the links I have provided before and since it is a library made by a single user we don't know if the documentation or sample codes will be improved in the future.

Regards,

Diego.

• 8. Re: NodeJS documentation MRAA
                        Eliot

Even if it had docs they'd just be autogenerated like the others. Human readable documentation would be nice but as stated above there's no way to know if this platform will ever improve.

I know you don't want more examples but here's an Intel Node.js project leveraging mraa for everything.

• 9. Re: NodeJS documentation MRAA
                          MarkOg

@Eliot I suppose that counts as additional documentation, thanks for the link!

Diego, to be honest, I hope we're both wrong. The Edison will need some decent hardware capabilities for a successful take-off in the wearable/IoT world.

Till then, we'll just grab what we can find.

• 11. Re: NodeJS documentation MRAA
                            MarkOg

Finally! Thank you for the update :-)