7 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 6:00 AM by Zoran.Roncevic

[Help] Write data to enableIoT Cloud from NodeJS, it is possible?

jchozas

Hi all,

I have an Intel Edison (arduino expansion board)  and I am tring to guess how can I connect to the enableIoT Cloud from Javascript but I not able to understand how to do it.

I have read some examples from

https://github.com/enableiot/iotkit-samples/blob/master/node

https://github.com/enableiot

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/537151

but it is difficult to understand because I cannot see any API-NODE module to make easier this task.

I know how to write to cloud from console by "iotkit-admin observation temp 10" command, but I have an script in NodeJs which generates an array from database information and I don't know how to pass the array values to the cloud.

I think first thing is to select a MQTT protocol rather than REST

# iotkit-admin protocol mqtt

# systemctl restart iotkit-agent

but I don't know how to follow.

Any example how to upload a dummy value to enableiot cloud from node.js?

Any other help?

Thanks

• 1. Re: [Help] Write data to enableIoT Cloud from NodeJS, it is possible?
          mhahn

some notes:

• make sure you have updated iotkit agent to latest / recent version (check descriptions on github)
          • "iotkit-admin observation" would be a bad idea to use in "production code" - it is meant only for tests as it has a huge overhead / latency and bypasses the local iotkit agent
          • the idea is to use the iotkit agent which listens on udp / tcp (not sure on REST/MQTT for recent versions - the examples look like but I think REST/MQTT on the local agent has been deprecated). Just use the examples on github you already pointed to: iotkit-samples/node at master · enableiot/iotkit-samples · GitHub
          • the agent would then take care of the communications with the cloud (REST or MQTT)
          • if you want to use actuators you would have to set the iotkit agent for MQTT (at least used to be the case - maybe no longer true)
          • you can check the logs (/var/log/... ) of iotkit-agent to check whether your data have successfully been submitted to the local agent
          • 2. Re: [Help] Write data to enableIoT Cloud from NodeJS, it is possible?
            jchozas

Thanks mhahn,

From my point of view there is a lack of information of how to do the connection with the IoT Analytic Cloud in MQTT because I do not know which files I need to configure or which information is needed.

For example, there is a Cloud called "theThings.IO" which they have a API-Node theThings/thethingsio-api-node · GitHub and they have examples of how to configure the file to write data to the Cloud. On the contrary for the Intel Cloud I do not have no idea how to do the same because there is not an explanation in the documentation file so I would like to know if someone has an example of uploading data to the Cloud.

Any help?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: [Help] Write data to enableIoT Cloud from NodeJS, it is possible?
              adua

Hello jchozas,

You could use 'iotkit-comm' the nodejs connectivity library already installed on the Edison. The quick-start guide is here  JSDoc: Tutorial: Start Here

The cloud tutorial is here JSDoc: Tutorial: Cloud.

NOTE: for the above to work you need to upgrade to the latest Edison firmware. You can do this by running the command configure_edison --upgrade, just make sure that your device has Internet access.

Hope this helps,

Akshay

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: [Help] Write data to enableIoT Cloud from NodeJS, it is possible?
                babaltz

Hi.

The focus of the documentation for interacting directly with the IOT Cloud is based on the REST API. I have a short Node.js script that will submit data observation(s) directly to the cloud via MQTT for a component/sensor named, "temp". The script uses your credentials that were stored when you activated your device using "iotkit-admin". You'll need to locate the iotkit-agent configuration file. It also depends on the certificate that is installed with the iotkit-agent package.

This script submits data, directly to the cloud via MQTT and does not depend on your iotkit-agent. The device just needed to be activated with "iotkit-admin". I find it's better to run this script in the iotkit-agent folder as MQTT has problems with newer versions of Node.js. Hopefully this helps.

#!/usr/bin/env node

var mqtt = require('mqtt');

var util = require('util');

// Load iotkit-agent configuration file settings

var config = require('/usr/lib/node_modules/iotkit-agent/data/device.json'); // iotkit-agent config file location

var client;

// iotkit-agent credentials needed to connect and submit data

var uname = config.device_id;

var account = config.account_id;

var password = config.device_token;

var comp_name = "temp"; // your sensor name

var broker = "broker.us.enableiot.com";

var port = 8883;

ca_certs = [ "/usr/lib/node_modules/iotkit-agent/certs/AddTrust_External_Root.pem"]; // default CA cert location

// Authentication info

var mypass = {

"username": uname,

"password": password,

"keepalive": 60,

"ca": ca_certs,

"rejectUnauthorized": true

}

// get current timestamp

var now = (new Date).getTime();

// Look-up the component-ID for the sensor you are submitting

// data for.

var cid;

var comp = config.sensor_list.filter(function(obj) {

return obj.name === comp_name;

});

cid = comp[0].cid

// Construct a data observation message. Multiple

// observations can be submitted at once as an array.

var msg = {

"accountId": account,

"did": uname,

"on": now,

"count": 1,

"data": [

{

"on": now,

"value": "33.8",

"cid": cid

}

]

}

// MQTT topic for data submission

topic = util.format('server/metric/%s/%s', account, uname);

client = mqtt.createSecureClient(port, broker, mypass);

// publish data observation(s)

client.publish(topic, JSON.stringify(msg), function() {

console.log("Observation is submitted");

client.end(); // Close the connection when published

});

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: [Help] Write data to enableIoT Cloud from NodeJS, it is possible?
                  jchozas

Thank you so much babaltz .Your script is quite good as well as your explanation

• 6. Re: [Help] Write data to enableIoT Cloud from NodeJS, it is possible?
                    jchozas

Yes,   that was exactly I was asking for. Thank you so much adua, this is gonna helping me.

• 7. Re: [Help] Write data to enableIoT Cloud from NodeJS, it is possible?
                      Zoran.Roncevic

Hi,

find iotkit-agent node modules folder. There are simle send_udp.js file as example for sending data to enableiot.com from node.

You have to enable iotkit-agent service with : systemctl enable iotkit-agent command from linux console. Without this, after power-on or reboot, iotkit would be disabled.

Iotkit-agent listen two port UDP 41234 and TCP 7070. ... There are many node modules (like 'request' ...) for communicatio over TCP/UDP.

Another way for sending data to enableiot cloud is REST API... On GitHub are some nice examples (iotkit-samples/api at master · enableiot/iotkit-samples · GitHub)