1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 8:14 AM by mikec_intel

Cannot reset/refresh windows

Ted_

I have screwed up the bluetooth driver while upgrading it and can't be able to reinstall or install it, therefore I need a reset on windows. But when I  clicked on refresh/refresh it always says there was a problem refreshing/resetting your PC, seems like the recovery partition was corrupted or something. And I don't see any resources available to reinstall windows 8.1 with Bing.

Is there any way to reinstall the OS again?

• 1. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
          RumblePack

Have you tried pressing f8 after turning it on? You should be able to do a fresh install of windows from there.

• 2. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
            Ted_

Yes i have tried that, and thats when it returns "There was a problem refreshing/resetting your PC"

• 3. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
              hansb_intel

Hi Ted,

Please let me know what problem you had with the driver and if you have updated the Bios and what was the Bluetooth driver version that you upgraded to.

• 4. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
                rguevara

Hi Ted_,

Did you try what RumblePack mentioned before? Pressing F8 after turning it on? You should be able to follow the recovery instructions and get a fresh install of the operating system.

Regards,

• 5. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
                  Ted_

44571d1402164301t-unable-refresh-reset-pc-after-automatic-repair-fail-2g6gfmj.jpg

Yes I did tried pressing F8 and tried to refresh or reset windows from the option inside, and this is the result. (too lazy to capture screen, found from the web, exactly same error)

I was trying to update the bluetooth driver to latest (1.0.89.50504), after restarting windows, the bluetooth stopped working, so I tried to reinstall it again and the error says something like "the path (related to program files/realtek) contains an invalid character during the installation of a software", but when I check program files' realtek folder, nothing was there. I was then stuck and cannot reinstall or uninstall the driver package so that I tried to reset the pc and screen above appeared and stopped me to do so.

• 6. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
                    rguevara

Hi Ted_,

Thanks for the additional information.

I did some research and it seems to be an issue with the Operating System, it is also well documented by Microsoft*.

Can you check the following Microsoft* article and try their recommendation? Here is the link:  Article ID: 2823223

Here are the instructions as well:

To attempt to resolve this issue, follow the steps below.

NOTE: Following these steps should only be used if you are attempting to use the "Refresh your PC" or "Reset your PC" options in Windows RE because your system is in a non-bootable state.

1. After Automatic Repair fails to repair your PC, select "Advanced options" and then "Troubleshoot".
                    2. Select "Advanced options" and then select "Command Prompt".
                    3. If prompted, enter in the password for the user name.
                    4. At the Command Prompt, go to the \windows\system32\config folder by typing the following command: cd %windir%\system32\config.
                    5. Rename the System and Software registry hives to System.001 and Software.001 by using the following commands:
                      ren system system.001
                      ren software software.001

NOTE: Renaming the Software hive will not allow you to use the "Refresh your PC" option. If you want to use the "Refresh your PC" option, only rename the System hive. If the Software hive is also corrupt, you may not be able to use the "Refresh your PC" option.
                    6. Type "exit" without the quotes to exit the Command Prompt and reboot the PC back to the Automatic Repair screen.
                    7. After selecting "Advanced options" and then "Troubleshoot", select either "Refresh your PC" or "Reset your PC"

I hope this helps, please let me know the results.

• 7. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
                      atnewton

I'm experiencing the same problem. Straight out of the box, the Compute Stick shows the post screen with the F2, F8 option etc, then after a few moments the screen goes black with no video signal. I haven't updated any drivers and I'm using a USB wireless keyboard and mouse.

I've tried the system refresh and system reset and neither worked. Just saying that there was a problem.

I tried the command prompt option you detailed, it allowed me to rename the system but not the software as it was in use by another process.

I've retried the system refresh and system reset and still no luck, just saying that there was a problem.

• 8. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
                        lhill

Hi,

For all those having the problem where you cannot refresh or reset Windows using the Recovery options, please provide the following information:

- Serial number (from the label on the Stick)

- What is listed under Disk Drives in Device Manager (if you can get into Windows)

Thanks,

Lois

Intel

• 9. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
                          atnewton

S/N: GEFC51600U47

Cannot get into Windows.

Thanks.

• 10. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
                            lhill

Hi atnewton,

Can you get into Safe Mode and then check the Disk Drives, using these steps:

1. Press F8 during boot, when you see the prompt “F8 to Activate Windows 8.1 Recovery Mode”.
                            2. Troubleshoot
                            3. Advanced Options
                            4. Startup Settings
                            5. Restart
                            6. Press F4 for Safe Mode
                            7. System restarts into Safe Mode
                            • 11. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
                              atnewton

I've tried this and after the F4 boot I get the following message:

"Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart the computer."

After restarting it goes back to getting past the first splash screen and then losing video output.

EDIT:

I can access the command prompt from the F8 menu and it lists the drive as X:

Is there a command I can enter here to get you the information you need?

• 12. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
                                Ted_

My S/N is GEFC51600TAL

And the disk drive is named Kingston S10032

• 13. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
                                  Ted_

same as atnewton, software was being used so it failed to rename, thus failed to reset the computer

• 14. Re: Cannot reset/refresh windows
                                    ADR90

I am having the same issue, have not been able to load windows since I have taken it out of the box.

S/N GEFC51600AR2

DiskDrive:Kingston S10032

1 2 Previous Next