10 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 11:29 AM by joe_intel

NUC 5i5RHY Rapid Boot

BrianNUC2015

I have 5i5RHY w 8GB RAM and Kingston 120gb m.2 SM2280S3. I tried to enable rapid boot but in bios > power, I cannot find Hibernation = Immediate.

Help will be appreciated. I have installed with Windows 7 ultimate.

• 1. Re: NUC 5i5RHY Rapid Boot
          joe_intel

Hi, I do not fully understand what settings you are changing and what you are trying to accomplish. Is it possible to share some screenshots with the exact steps you are going through?

• 2. Re: NUC 5i5RHY Rapid Boot
            BrianNUC2015

I want to enable rapid boot for NUC 5i5RHY but I can't find Hibernation = Immediate in power menu. Do I have to set to RAID in order to see this option being enabled in bios?

• 3. Re: NUC 5i5RHY Rapid Boot
              joe_intel

I replied to your PM

• 4. Re: NUC 5i5RHY Rapid Boot
                Rod Gray

Its best to ask, and answer, these types of questions in the public forums, NOT in PM, so everyone has the opportunity to benefit from the information you learn.

• 5. Re: NUC 5i5RHY Rapid Boot
                  BrianNUC2015

Let me rephrase my questions:

1. How do I enable intel rapid boot?

2. Do I have to install Win 7 in RAID mode instead of AHCI?

3. Why can't I find Hibernation set to Immediate in BIOS?

4. Will I need to reformat & perform a clean installation of Win 7 if I were to change to RAID mode?

Please provide me a full user guide to enable rapid boot and install the OS.

Thanks

• 6. Re: NUC 5i5RHY Rapid Boot
                    topg

I think you mean Intel's Rapid Start tech? Contrary to what some sites are stating, neither Rapid Start nor Smart Connect seem to be supported on this Broadwell platform. Fast Boot seems to be your only option: Boot > Boot Configuration > UEFI Boot > Fast Boot.

Personally I wouldn't advise it, since it can cause other aggravations, and the NUC boots very fast from S4 as it is (~5 seconds with Win 8.1). Not really worth it IMHO.

• 7. Re: NUC 5i5RHY Rapid Boot
                      Nixiedesk

BrianNUC2015 wrote:

... but I can't find Hibernation = Immediate in power menu. Do I have to set to RAID in order to see this option being enabled in bios?

Do you have latest <0247> BIOS installed ?

• 8. Re: NUC 5i5RHY Rapid Boot
                        BrianNUC2015

Yes I have the latest bios.

Just to confirm, NUC5i5RYH no longer support Intel Rapid Start.

To enable instant boot, I just need to go to normal windows hibernation? And to further speed up the boot, I just need to enable Fast Boot?

Its good to learn that I do not need to enable RAID, reinstall OS and to find out Intel Rapid Start no longer support in nuc broadwell.

Another question is, what is the feature or advantage then in Intel Rapid Storage Technology for Inte NUC broadwell?

• 9. Re: NUC 5i5RHY Rapid Boot
                          Nixiedesk

BrianNUC2015 wrote:

Yes I have the latest bios.

Just to confirm, NUC5i5RYH no longer support Intel Rapid Start.

Your model does not support Intel Rapid Start

Intel® Download Center

• 10. Re: NUC 5i5RHY Rapid Boot
                            joe_intel

If you have a SSD as the operating system drive, implementing Intel® Rapid Start Technology or Intel® Smart Response Technology does not make much sense as you already have the fast access of the SSD. These technologies take advantage of the SSD performance when the operating system is installed in a mechanical drive. Otherwise, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology only contributes to your system as an AHCI driver.