1 2 3 Previous Next 79 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2015 12:42 AM by kevin_intel

Windows 8.1 apps won't open

RumblePack

Does anyone else have this issue? If so, have you solved it? Certain apps like the store and PC settings are ok but news, sports, weather, and other downloaded apps such as netflix do not open. They load the splash screen and then open either the start menu or desktop.

I have tried various fixes from windows forums with no luck. Also tried refresh and complete reset to factory using the f8 menu. Problem persists after reset which makes me think there is something wrong with the image intel have used.

• 1. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
          Flarux

I have the same problem.

I tried to run the command "sfc /scannow" in a command prompt, but after 2% I get an error message saying "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.".

When I ran "sfc /verifyonly" I got a CBS.log-file vith some errors in it.

To me it seems to be some corrupt .net framework files, but I might be wrong....

• 2. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
            Littletechnican

I have the same problem, after unpacking and installing my first Intel Compute Stick.

I bought the stick to watch YouTube Videos on my Samsung smart TV (because the TV does not Support the YouTube app anymore).

I installed the wintube app from the store, and started it. All I see is the splash Screen, but then it stops and brings me back to the Desktop.

Please Intel help, what is going wrong?

Kind regards,

Henning

• 3. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
              kevin_intel

Hello all,

Please post your dxdiag report or system information report as much as possible. How to get it?

Dxdiag Report: Type dxdiag in Start Menu> open> Save> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File> Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

Also, Can you let me know step by step how to reproduce this problem? Was the system working fine before? Were there hardware or software changes on the computer?

Kevin m

• 4. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
                RumblePack

Hi There,

Logs attached.

I have never been able to open those apps. From a fresh build setup windows and wait till complete. Create or sign in with an existing microsoft account. Open the windows store or PC settings and it works fine. Try to open Sport, News, Weather and it will load the splash screen then kick to the start menu.

Windows was configured as New Zealand region, UK english.

Changing the profile to local does not work.

No hardware or software changes, I just use a KB\Mouse, plugging into different TVs does not help.

I have tried to refresh and also recovered the OS from the f8 menu and still the same. I have downloaded the latest driver pack from intel and updated all windows updates.

Hopefully you can replicate the issue at your end.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
                  Littletechnican

Same here,

I installed the Stick right from the box: went through Setup procedure (Connection with my Wifi),

First Thing I did was to go to playstore and install the YouTube app. Because that is the main reason for which I purchased the stick.

Then all attempts to start the Software fail.

Problem should be possible for Intel to reproduce because all is in all new condition.

Kind regards,

Henning

• 6. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
                    lhill

Hi all,

For anyone experiencing the problem where Metro apps do not open, I need to gather the following information from your Compute Stick:

- Serial number (from the label on the bottom)

- What is listed under Disk Drives in Device Manager

Engineering is currently investigating this issue.

Regards,

Lois

Intel

• 7. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
                      Flarux

Under Disk Drives I have a "Kingston S10032".

Serialnumber on the stick is: GEFC51600BWX.

• 8. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
                        4r4nd0mninj4

I had the same issues as well. My stick is dead (issue for another thread) so all I can give is the S/N GEFC51700A8G

• 9. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
                          nullptrninja

Same issue here. I've attached the logs as requested.

Symptoms are the same as the others above, the apps I've downloaded from the Windows Store launch into their splash screens and then bail out into the start screen. The event logs show that the process has crashed for the respective app (in this case iHeartRadio / ClearChannel.exe). I've attached the specific event entry as well.

I would also like to note that for some reason, my default Windows installation came with some start menu shortcuts pointing to "Korean Media Player" and "Korean Messaging" which were just URL shortcuts to some Korea-language page. Not sure if my stick came with the wrong Windows image and/or if this affects the issue with the Metro apps not launching though.

Serial number is: GEFC51600QH6

Batch# CNGE54U201

Version# H69761-102

Disk drive is: Kingston S10032

• 10. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
                            RumblePack

Disk drive: Kingston S10032

S\N:          GEFC00214F

• 11. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
                              BacchusTiger

Serial Number: GEFC51700CNH

Disk Drive: Kingston S10032

• 12. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
                                Littletechnican

I cannot follow the instructions. My Windows Version is in German, so it seems the commands do not work:

Dxdiag Report: Type dxdiag in Start Menu> open> Save> Attach using Advanced Editor Options.

It Looks like this (see screenshot 1). There is no "Open" nor "Save" command. I can click "safe all info" however.

screenshot 1.png

System Information: Click Start> Type System Information> Click File> Export> Save File> Attach using Advanced Editor Options

I do not find a program called "System Information" just System. See screenshot 2.

There is not File Export function.

screenshot 2.png

Can I Switch to English, or could you please post the instructions for the German Windows?

The Serial number of the stick is: GEFC51600BNS

Drive is Kingston S10032

• 13. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
                                  elmerm

Hi lhill,

I'm having the same issue. This issue renders the Intel Compute Stick useless as non of the interesting apps even open. Please let us know the status and what the game plan is as soon as you know.

Drive: Kingston S10032

Serial Number: GEFC51600MW0

• 14. Re: Windows 8.1 apps won't open
                                    Littletechnican

I just noticed one more thing: Even the factory pre installed "News", "Health and Fitness", "Finance", "Food and Drink" or "Map" app does not start.

Please see my Screencast Video.

Doesn't Intel test this before shipping a whole pre installed PC Hardware?

I noticed one more thing: when I click WIN + TAB Key, a side bar opens showing me that the apps are running (?!?), but as soon as I click on them

I see the startscreen for a few seconds and then back to the Desktop.

Kind regards,

Henning

1 2 3 Previous Next