3 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 2:04 PM by JPMontero_Intel

eMMC Bandwidth / Boot Time

pruesch

Hi, I wanted to know how fast (in theory) one can boot a linux system on the intel edison. Critical Application: User plugs the USB-Powered device into his Computer and should see a USB-Device showing up after a few (<5) seconds. How can one accompish this challenge using intel edison? any other possible solution for this topic ? best regards

• 1. Re: eMMC Bandwidth / Boot Time
          JPMontero_Intel

Hi pruesch,

The only information available of this is the cold boot diagram in the Compute Module Hardware Guide, section 5.5. Let me see if I can find more information on it.

Regards,
          JPMontero_Intel

• 2. Re: eMMC Bandwidth / Boot Time
            pruesch

thank you very much for your reply. but you can't be serious about your product if you can't tell your costumers about the memory bandwidth they can expect :( I'm partly uncertain about the goals you target with the edison. Do you want me to develop my commercial product based on the edison? or do you want me to play with the edison in my free time? I don't get it :(

• 3. Re: eMMC Bandwidth / Boot Time
              JPMontero_Intel

pruesch - The required time to boot Linux system on Edison or any other embedded Linux board can vary depends on the build configuration and the enabled services of the Linux system. Yocto OS provide the flexibility to strip not needed packages to speed up the boot time and reduce the memory footprint or add more packages to gain more functionality and increase the boot time and memory. Intel provide a balanced pre-built image and if it does not meet your requirement then you should build your Yocto custom image after you remove any layers and recipes that is not required for your product.

Regards,
              JPMontero_Intel