5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 8:41 AM by edwardzh

Help Needed on GM45 & PM45 Chipset.

MJC

Hi, could any kind soul in the community, please help to advise., between Mobile Intel GM45 & PM45 Chipset which works better on a Notebook with P8700 Intel Core2 Duo Processor, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD, Geforce G105M (512 DDR2 VRam) system. Thanks...regards. MJC

• 1. Re: Help Needed on GM45 & PM45 Chipset.
          edwardzh

The only difference is that GM45 has integrated graphics while PM45 doesn't...

• 2. Re: Help Needed on GM45 & PM45 Chipset.
            MJC

Hi Edward, Does GM45 work well with Geforce G105M (512 DDR2 VRam). I term of performance, is GM45 or PM45 better with Geforce G105M (512 DDR2 VRam) system.

• 3. Re: Help Needed on GM45 & PM45 Chipset.
              edwardzh

Hi MJC, for a system with Geforce G105M, most likely it'll be configured with PM45 chipset because you already have discrete video and there is no need for integrated video.

• 4. Re: Help Needed on GM45 & PM45 Chipset.
                MJC

Hi Edward,

Thanks for responding, could you help me further.

Recently, I bought a 14" Notebook that advertised the configuration as P8700 Intel Core2 Duo Processor, Mobile Intel PM45 Express Chipset, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD, Geforce G105M (512 DDR2 VRam) system.

When I did a Intel Chipset Identification Utility V3.24, the result shows as follows: Chipset Detected - Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset, Memory Controller - Mobile Intel 82GM45 Graphics & Memory Controller Hub (GMCH), I/O Controller - Intel 82801MB Intel(R) I/O Controller Hub (ICH9M-B) SATA Controller found in AHCI mode. Integrated Graphics - This chipset supports integrated graphics.

When I tried to update Nvidia Geforce G105M driver 179.52 to 186.03, the result shows - The Nvidia Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware.

Vendor claim the system sold to me is a Mobile Intel PM45 Express Chipset with Geforce G105M (512 DDR2 VRam).

Base on the above info and base on your experience & expertise, could you please advise, what is the actual configuration I'm getting.

Is there another way or software to Identify and comfirm on what I'm get. Please advise.

Thanks...regards.

• 5. Re: Help Needed on GM45 & PM45 Chipset.
                  edwardzh

Hi MJC, it seems your system has a GM45 chipset with integrated graphics. You can try to load graphics driver from www.intel.com/support/detect.htm. Also, if you have the brand/model of your notebook normally you may check its configuration from vendor's website.