1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2015 9:20 PM by WANGYANG

Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.

Zeenat

I am trying to use intel vtune amplifier with Intel Edison. My host machine is Windows 7 and my Edison has yocto linux 1.6.1. I have created passwordless ssh, copied the vtune_amplifier_target_x86_64.tgz file from host machine to Edison and untar it. When I go to the vtune..../sepdk/src directory..the 'make' command doesnot work(which I had to write as mentioned in the document). Also after browsing web I got to know that the drivers are not installed in the edison image by default. Therefore, please let me know how to proceed from this step. I am working on Intel System Studio and Intel Edison for my thesis work. Thanks and Regards.Zeenat

• 1. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
          Intel_Peter

Hello Zeenat,

Which guide are you following? Also, where did you get the package?

I found this guide on a quick search, why don't you take a look at it? I believe it may be helpful for you.

Peter.

• 2. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
            Zeenat

Hi Sir,

I have Intel System Studio Ultimate version for target linux system. My host system is Windows 7 and my Intel edison has yocto linux 1.6.1. I am following this guide-

Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems Quick Getting Started Tutorials - Windows Host + Linux Target | Intel® Developer Zone

Whenever I write make command, it shows errors. Please guide me regarding the same. Thanks

• 3. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
              WANGYANG

Hi,

If I remember correctly, by default the kernel source is not installed on your Edison target system. So it's not possible to build the sepdk drivers on your Edison target natively.

Edison uses Yocto 1.6 image. If you can build the edison image by yourself, you can follow the instructions here Using Intel® System Studio with the Yocto* Project | Intel® Developer Zone to build the sepdk drivers. The drivers and the target collector will be integrated into your Edison image automatically.

Thanks.

-Yang

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
                Zeenat

Yang Sir

I don't know how to make edison image. Please throw some light on this too.

Thanks

Zeenat

• 5. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
                  Intel_Peter

Zeenat,

You can find the guide on how to create an Edison image in Intel® Edison Board Support Package (BSP) User Guide

Peter.

• 6. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
                    Intel_Peter

On a much more deeper research I found this guide: OpenCV 3.0.0-beta ( IPP & TBB enabled ) on Yocto with Intel® Edison | Intel® Developer Zone I'd suggest you to take a look at it.

Peter.

• 7. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
                      WANGYANG

Hi Zeenat,

As Peter mentioned, Intel® Edison Board Support Package (BSP) User Guide is the right place for you to get start for the Edison image build.

By the way, VTune also works without sepdk drivers for the "Basic hotspot" analysis. In case you want to find the basic hotspot information for your user level applications, you can try the basic hotspot analysis, before you can make the sep drivers work for your target.

Thanks.

-Yang

• 8. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
                        Zeenat

Hello Yang Sir

1. SSHed into the edison passwordlessly.

2.Intel VTune 2015 for Systems->New project->(Target System)Remote Linux->(Target type)Profile System.->(SSH Details) root@192.168.0.104[:22]

3.Then I click on New Analysis, it shows the error as

" Unable to open connection:Host Doesnot Exists

Amplifier cannot detect remote machine configurations"

Therefore, I am not able to get the menu for the different analysis types.

Thanks..Zeenat

• 9. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
                          WANGYANG

Hi Zeenat,

Have you built the sepdk drivers for your edison target? Are you trying basic hotspot?

From the error message, it looks like VTune can't find the target system through that IP, port. Please make sure you have network connection from the host where VTune is running to your Edison target.

There are several things to check.

1. I noticed you add [:22] in the (SSH Details), please remove []. No need to add [:22] if ssh connection using the default port. You can just use: root@192.168.0.104, or root@192.168.0.104:22

2. Please make sure you copied the VTune target collector in to the target linux folder /opt/intel. For example, extract the system_studio_target.tgz file, in the vtune_amplifier_xxx_target folder, you should find a file vtune_amplifier_target_x86.tgz in the linux32 folder, extract this file, you will get a folder with name vtune_amplifier_2015_for_systems.x.y.zzzzz, copy this folder to your edison target /opt/intel. VTune on host system will automatically check if this target collector is avaiable on the target. (this is also configurable in the VTune project configurations).

3. VTune uses ssh to connect to target. On your windows host, make sure your ssh utilities are available in the PATH environment so VTune can get these utilities for connection.

4. You are using "Profile System", please make sure your vtune sepdk drivers are built and load successfully on your target. "Profile system" only works with sepdk drivers. You can use attach to a pid, or lunch the application if you want to run the basic-hotspot.

Thank you.

-Yang

• 10. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
                            Zeenat

Hi Yang Sir,

I am trying to run Basic Hotspots at present.

1. I made the correction in SSH Details as root@192.168.0.104 or root@192.168.0.104:22.

2. I had already copied the vtune_amplifier_2015_for_systems.x.y.zzzz( System Studio 2015.1.039->Vtune Amplifier 2015 for Systems->Target->linux32->vtune_amplifier_2015_for_systemsx.y.zzzz) from the host to the target in the folder /opt/intel.

3.I have given path to the ssh utilities.

4.I have not made the image as yet as I thought to try with basic hotspots first.

Intel VTune 2015 for Systems->New project->(Target System)Remote Linux->(Target type)Launch application-----some exe file .->(SSH Details) root@192.168.0.104

When I run new analysis it gives an error that

"Cannot find product on target system at root 192.168.0.104:/opt/inte/vtune_amplifier_for_systems.1.1.388041.

Make sure VTune Amplifier Installation Directory in the remote system options in the project properties dialog box is set to correct path.

Amplifier cannot detect remote machine configurations."

Thnaks.Zeenat

• 11. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
                              WANGYANG

Hi Zeenat,

It looks like you have made good progress! The error you see is because the VTune can't find the right collector on target system which can match the VTune version on your host system. Based on your description, you should already have a folder on target /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_2015_for_systems.1.1.388041, correct? If yes, please do as following. It looks like the default path in your host VTune is changed a little. So:

1. On your host, in the Project Properties of your VTune project, on the Target setup tab (same as you setting up the ssh details), there is an Advanced configuration.

2. Click the Advanced to expand the configurations, you will find "VTune Amplifier installation directory on the remote system". Make sure it is specified same as the folder name on your target, which is

/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_2015_for_systems.1.1.388041. I guess the "2015" is missing on your configuration.

3. Click OK after you corrected the directory name and then start a new analysis to try.

Thanks.

-Yang

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
                                Zeenat

Hello Yang Sir

Sir, the folder intel/vtune.... was not there in the target by default. I had created intel folder in opt directory and then copied the vtune_amplifier_target_x86.tgz from host to edison target using pscp command------This step I had already completed a month back. But I was facing this problem of remote connection establishment in vtune with Edison.

Now, I have successfully established remote connection between the host and Intel Edison in Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems now. The error this time was that I had not restarted Intel Vtune Amplifier for Systems after making necessary changes.Thanks a lot Sir for your help regarding this.

For next step,I am using Eclipse CDT to create C++ application and it generates an 'abc.exe' file. But I think this will not run on Intel Edison. Yet,For Basic hotspot analysis in Target type-> Launch application, I selected this file and when I select 'start' to collect data, it doesnot run and gives error.

I have used Intel C++ compiler for the same program  on intel iotdk-ide-win to run it on Edison and it works correctly but it doesnot any exe file to add in Launch Application bar. So please guide me regarding the same.

Thanks..Zeenat

• 13. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
                                  WANGYANG

Hi Zeenat,

Good to know you have made the remote connection works. For the app run problem, please check the following:

1. When you create your c++ application from eclipse, please make sure you are using the SDK build environment for Edison. If you have your abc.exe binary, you can copy this binary to your Edison target, and run it in the Edison command shell. Make sure this binary can be executed successfully. For build and debug remotely from Eclipse, you can refer to my article: Build and Debug Applications for Intel® Edison with Intel® System Studio | Intel® Developer Zone

2. Once you have your "abc.exe" works in the Edison target, e.g. put it in the folder /home/zeenat/temp/, now you can specify the application "/home/zeenat/temp/abc.exe" in the VTune project properties settings. And then start a profiling with basic-hotspot analysis. Please do send me the error message if you encount any error.

3. Please let me know the output of the message for any error so I can narrow down the issues.

Thank you.

-Yang

• 14. Re: Using Intel VTune Amplifier for Systems2015 with Intel Edison.
                                    Zeenat

Hi Yang Sir

Actually I am unable to download the Intel Edison SDK due to its size right now. So in order to continue working i have used iotdk-ide-win (devkit-launcher). I have developed the application in C++(abc.cpp) and used the Intel C++ compiler and it executes on the Intel Edison command line very well.In the temp folder the abc application is also present while it is running in the Edison. But in the host machine doesn't create an .exe file.

While using Intel VTune Amplifier 2015, Basic Hotspot analysis for  for Intel Edison,the Launch application bar demands an executable file to be browsed but since no executable file is generated in the workspace/debug folder of Eclipse devkit launcher, I am not getting how to proceed.

Regards

Zeenat

1 2 Previous Next