6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 8:49 AM by vanetto

DQ35JO Very odd and long boot sequence

rwyder

Hi All,

I suddenly began experiencing a very odd boot sequence. From power on to the intel logo screen takes 8 miinutes. From that point on the system boots normally. During the 8 minute period the screen is blank except for a non-blinking cursor (underscore) in the extreme upper left corner (the system uses the intel integrated video, it does not have a video card.) This problem appeared after a normal system shutdown, before that the system had been running with no problems for approx 18 months.

The system consists of the DQ35JO motherboard, a Core2Duo E4500 processor, 2GB Kingston PC5300 memory (DDR2-667), a Seagate 250GB hard drive, a soundblaster sound card, two cd/dvd drives, and Windows XP-SP3.

Troubleshooting so far has consisted of:

replacing the Antec power supply with a BFG 550 watt unit

resetting the CMOS

updating the BIOS to the latest version (JOQ3510J.86A ver 1109)

running Memtest ver 3.5 for 8 hours (14 passes of standard test) with 0 errors

trying various BIOS settings such as disable AMT, disable all boot alternatives except cd and hard drive etc.

None of the above make any difference. The system always takes almost exactly 8 minutes from power on to the intel logo screen, then boots normally.

I have not updated to the latest drivers, I thought I should ask for other ideas before I go much further as I'm a home computer user, not a technician.

I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Rob Wyder

• 1. Re: DQ35JO Very odd and long boot sequence
          suryanm

Really odd...you mean 8 minutes, right? 8 second is long time.

Did you try with minimum config (cpu & memory)? Also load default BIOS setting.

• 2. Re: DQ35JO Very odd and long boot sequence
            rwyder

Hi Suryanm,

Thanks for taking a look at my problem.

Yes I really mean 8 minutes and yes it is a long time (and seems to get longer each time I have to wait with my finger on the F2 key!)

I shoulod have mentioned in my first post that I also followed the Intel troubleshooting guide and tried with just the board, cpu, and memory, and, after 8 minutes, got the "no boot device" message. I have also tried default BIOS settings (and every other combination I can think of.)

I think my next move is to borrow a video card in hopes it will display something during the 8 minute delay that the onboard video is not displaying.

• 3. Re: DQ35JO Very odd and long boot sequence
              dj-h

I have exactly same trouble with occasional very very long boot sequence. From power on to the intel logo screen takes 5-8 minutes. From that point on the system boots normally. During the first 5-8 minute period the screen is blank except for a non-blinking cursor in the upper left corner.

This also started suddenly, about one year ago. I have not used this computer as daily basis so I have not earlier tried to fix this. This problem appeared after a normal system shutdown. The odd thing is, that this very long boot sequence does not happen on every boot, only about 75% of the boots. And if the power is cut off during the 5-8 minutes waiting period and re-started again, the system boots normally.

The system consists of the DQ35JO motherboard, a Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 processor, 2GB Kingston DDR2 667MHz CL5 memory, a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA2 hard drive, on board audio, PNY Quadro FX 380 PCI-E 256M GDDR-3 2XDVI graphics card, one cd/dvd drive, and Windows Vista Business 64-bit (the problem was present in SP1 and continued with SP2).

I have tried different Kingston 2GB memory modules and the problem has occurred with different modules.

I have also a issue with RAM in this system. It allows only one 2GB RAM module - when I put in another 2GB module of RAM, the system becomes very slow. I will post another thread about this one: http://communities.intel.com/message/69500

• 4. Re: DQ35JO Very odd and long boot sequence
                RavenPhoenix

I too very innocently upgraded to the latest bios and are experiencing this exact same issue with the extremely slow boot times with the stupid flashing cursor in the top left hand corner of the screen.

After reading countless post about this issue, I can now see that this is definitely an issue with the bios. I find it really unbelievable that Intel has acknowledged this problem but have still not been able to fix it.

This is extremely disappointing and leaves a very bad mark on Intel's supportability and reliability. I work for a global blue chip company and I know if our company provided this level of service/support to our customers and clients; we would be shot by management.

INTEL please fix this issue and provide the level of support a company of your stature should really be providing.

• 5. Re: DQ35JO Very odd and long boot sequence
                  vanetto

Hi. I have a DX38BT and was experiencing a long boot sequence. I don't know if it will help, but in my case I had 2 dvd drives and 2 sata HDD. When I just disconnected one of the dvd drives the problem just disappear. Try to disconnect any dvd or cd drives. Hope it will help.

• 6. Re: DQ35JO Very odd and long boot sequence
                    Cpt.Dogfruit

i would suggest testing a previous or later verison of the BIOS. also reflashing the same BIOS can help sometimes