7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2009 3:40 PM by mark_h_@intel

Intel 3945abg card connectivity issue

TheTowner

Greetings all,

I bought a refurbished Dell M65.  No OS.  Installed a clean copy of XP Pro.  Downloaded latest drivers from Dell support.  I can connect to non-secure networks np.  I use WPA2 security on my network.  The M65 will connect to the network but not gain a ip...then disconnect.  The following info is what I get:

"WPA/WPA2 - Personal authentication failed"  Authentication failed due to incorrect security (key)

Footnote: I have triple-checked the key....I am putting the corrrect key info in. I haven't had a chance to try this with another secure network yet.  I've browsed through all the settings I could find...nothing seemed out of the ordinary.  Any ideas or help would be appreciated.......TheTowner

• 1. Re: Intel 3945abg card connectivity issue
          ivwildbil

I am working with someone who has pretty much the same problem.  He can connect to the his wireless router but gets disconnected shortly after getting connected.  Once disconnected he cannot reconnect without making some kind of change to the profile.  He is using WPA2 encryption with the same kind of card and connecting to a LinkSys WRT5G2.  All the other devices in the house are rock solid

• 2. Re: Intel 3945abg card connectivity issue
            mark_h_@intel

I solved a similar problem at my house by upgrading the Linksys firmware. In my case the drops were just random and sometimes took days before the drop happened. When I got disconnected, the messaging I saw appeared as an authentication issue, but had nothing to do with entering the wrong passkeys.

Even if the router works rock solid with another adapter brand, I recommend upgrading the router firmware.

• 3. Re: Intel 3945abg card connectivity issue
              TheTowner

I have to fess up to a error on my part.  I mistook a "e" to be a "c" in the key...it is a long one.  Everything ran perfect after I got it fixed.  Sorry, nothing more exotic was happening.

Good luck,  Towner

• 4. Re: Intel 3945abg card connectivity issue
                mark_h_@intel

Glad everything is resolved. Have a good weekend.

• 5. Re: Intel 3945abg card connectivity issue
                  ivwildbil

I checked the firmware versions.  The current version is only one lower than the newest version.  And the only thing the version does is correct a problem that prevented Vista systems from connecting to the router

• 6. Re: Intel 3945abg card connectivity issue
                    ivwildbil

My issue is not resolved and I know the passcode I am entering is correct.  I know this for two reasons.

1. I copied and pasted it from the router configuration.  Before pasting it in the profile I pasted in to a notepad document to make sure it was correct.

2. The person who is experiencing the problem can connect to the router.  He just gets disconnected after X number of minutes.  Some times it is very quick some times he can stay connected for a few hours.

• 7. Re: Intel 3945abg card connectivity issue
                      mark_h_@intel

I would still upgrade the firmware on the router even though the version is only one version older and the release notes only mention Windows Vista. My experience with release notes is that not everything is included. And, whatever change Linksys added to make the router more compatible with Vista might also make the router more compatible with your Intel adapter. I will admit that our laptops at home are running Vista, so the upgrade might not help you as much as it did us.

From the wireless adapter end of things, you could try installing the latest driver and software versions. You can use Intel® Driver Update Utility to check your laptop for the latest  drivers.

I hope this helps.