1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 14, 2009 1:14 PM by Aryan2411

Controller issue with Intel D975XBX2 - help?

0ptriX

Hello all,

I was fortunate enough to win an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard and QX6700 processor in a LAN that Intel sponsored back in April 2007, and it has been running smoothly ever since.

However, I just returned from a few months vacation to find it won't POST properly. Normally when I start my PC, the lights would turn on and the fans would run at full speed for a couple of seconds before everything initialises, the fans die down and the screen comes on. Instead, the screen would stay off, the fans would stay blaring and it just would not POST. When I unplugged my HDD's SATA cable, it managed to get past the Intel splash screen, and would come up to a black system screen that would just say "Marvell 88SE61xx Controller - BIOS Version 1.1.0.34. Scanning controller..." and the ellipses would carry on and on until "Warning - something wrong with controller!."

I can't seem to get into the BIOS either, no matter how much I hammer F2.

A couple of friends of mine think the SATA controller is FUBAR'd, and I have to buy a new motherboard. Is this the case?

Cheers.

• 1. Re: Controller issue with Intel D975XBX2 - help?
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

It is best to try the steps below.

Try to do a CMOS clear of the board.
          Put the bios jumper to the maintenance/configuration mode.

Boot the system with minimum configuration (the rest disconnected)
          PSU + Motherboard + CPU + 1 Memory Module only.
          Result:
          Put back the jumper to default position if the system boots.

If it is not booting, remove the memory to check if the board issues any beeps
          Result:

Then last thing to do is to recover the bios using the Recovery Method

try a bios recovery using a formatted USB media.

Instructions for Recovery BIOS Updates
          The recovery process requires the chassis to be opened to remove the onboard BIOS Configuration Jumper.

Recovery with Formatted USB Stick

1. Copy the recovery file (*.bio) to a formatted usb disk.
          2. Place the usb disk in the target system.
          3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.
          4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
          5. Power the system on.
          6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete. When the usb drive LED is lit, the system is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device.
          7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt you to turn off the system.
          8. Remove usb disk
          9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          10. Restart system.

Note: these can be found on:
          Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17197/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf
          Page 3

Other tests:

If you have any other CPU, test it./ Test the system out of the chassis. Use a screwdriver to power on the board, disconnect the front panel.

Kind Regards,
          Aryan.