4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2010 9:06 AM by alexcuervo RSS

DP35DP RAM and PCI Video Conflicts

I have system with a DP35DP with the latest bios 0572 and 2GB of ram. It has three displays working fine. The displays are driven by an PCI-e 9600GT Nvidia (2 monitors) on PCI1:0:0 and a PCI 8400gs Nvidia running the third display on PCI 8:0:0

I rencently upgraded  to 8GB of ram and the displays stoped working. I know the RAM is and the video cards are OK because:

1) 2GB + 8400GS = Works

2) 2GB + 9600GT = Works

3) 2GB + 8400GS + 9600GT = WORKS

4) 8GB + 8400GS = Works

5) 8GB + 9600GS = Works

6) 4GB + 8400GS + 9600GT = DOES NOT WORK

7) 8GB + 8400GS + 9600GT = DOES NOT WORK

So basically all combinations work execpt 6 and 7. Some how with 4GB  or more none of the video cards gets initialized on the PCI bus.

Any Ideas?

Relevant information:

After I put the 8GB the syslog started showing these

pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 6: can't allocate mem resource [0xe0000000-0xdfffffff]

pci 0000:08:00.0: BAR 6: can't allocate mem resource [0xf0000000-0xefffffff]

nvidia: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -1

nvidia: probe of 0000:08:00.0 failed with error -1

heci: Failed to get pci regions

NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 2 device(s).
      NVRM: None of the NVIDIA graphics adapters were initialized!

EDIT: Could all this be related to http://tjworld.net/wiki/Linux/Bug/PciAllocationAlgorithm

Message was edited by: alexcuervo

• 1. Re: DP35DP RAM and PCI Video Conflicts

I'm just presenting a wild guess now, but could it be that the PSU don't have enough power to run all the stuff that you put into the computer? That could explain why it's not working when you put in both of the graphics cards at the same time as all the memory.

I believe that the memory doesn't take too much power but it might be that you are at the edge already and this little extra power consumption makes the computer not to start.

As I said, it's just a wild guess but it is worth checking if you don't have a more powerful PSU.

• 2. Re: DP35DP RAM and PCI Video Conflicts

Did you ever get this working?  I have a very similar problem and am out of ideas...

• 3. Re: DP35DP RAM and PCI Video Conflicts

A quick update.

I was NEVER able to resolve this issue.

I needed the 8GB of ram and also the three displays. So the only thing I could do was to replace the two existing video cards for one video card able to drive three displays.

I replaced the  8400GS and 9600GT cards for ans NVIDIA NVS 450.

• 4. Re: DP35DP RAM and PCI Video Conflicts

@Phaser606, Your suggestion was interesting because the computer had indeed a lot of stuff running of a "regular" 450W power supply.

I bought a 750W Corsair "Professional" power supply to replace it and It did NOT make any difference what so ever.