1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 12:48 AM by zzddrr

Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?

zzddrr

I was reading various tests and learned that sadly Intel NUC5i7RYH does not support DDR3L 2133Mhz memories. The question is why? This is more interesting especially since DDR4 is just around the corner. Also, numerous tests showed that there is significant performance gain even when one switches from 1600 to 1866MHz  (for example here).

Is there any chance Intel will address this or Intel came to market with a product that will be soon outdated?

• 1. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
          zzddrr

Is Intel reading these posts or this is just another place where the customer with valid questions is ignored?

• 2. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
            kevin_intel

Of course all of the threads posted here are not ignored and are of our interest. I would like to know what BIOS version you have and the RAM memory part number you are using.

Kevin M

• 3. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
              zzddrr

Thank you for the response. Latest bios from your site (0247). Memory tried Kingston HyperX Impact HX321LS11IB2K2/16.

I know that there are other manufacturers who make DDR3L 2133MHz, if any of them works can please let us know. It is interesting that it works just fine with the 1600MHz and 1866MHz variants of the same Kingston memory.

My second question would be that if 2133MHz cannot work, then can we expect and when will the skylake i7 become available with DDR4 in the NUCs? Many thanks.

• 4. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
                zzddrr

Kevin, I am rapidly losing my patience with intel. Your lack of responsiveness is simply disappointing. I posted my question 4 days ago and no answer. My question should not be that difficult to answer.  At least provide a timeline and I will wait patiently. However, I read through quite few threads here and one thing became abundantly clear to me. Namely, intel is incompetent answering questions in timely manner. I hope intel will address the lack of customer support soon because this is not a good advertisement.

• 5. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
                  zzddrr

Kevin,

What kind of monkey business is intel? Can you call this proper customer service or support? Kevin, if you work for intel please do not forget that without customers you would not have a job. I simply cannot comprehend why answering my simple question takes so long? How can we trust in intel when you are incompetent to even provide an expected date of an answer? I mentioned above that I am willing to wait for an answer but I cannot tolerate such ignoring behaviour intel so far displayed.

I am extremely disappointed in lntel's handling of customer support! I rate intel a simply shambolic operation! Shame on you!

Just go through the posts in this forum to see the large number of unanswered questions along with the low quality incompetent answers intel has provided. It is simply unacceptable! Intel simply does not value its customers.

• 6. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
                    mjoyce4550

I have been involved with "PC's" since 1985. During that time I have come into contact with a wide variety of people who possess an even wider range of "PC" knowledge. I have attempted to provide support to these same folks via telephone and email and find it to be one of the most difficult and aggravating experiences of my life. There are so MANY variables involved in "remote troubleshooting" that it is often a miracle that complete & perfect solutions are EVER arrived at. RAM, cables, drives, firmware, KVM switches, power, network, drivers, BIOS, language barriers, CLEAR AND CONCISE DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM, etc, etc, etc. These are ALL part of the eventual solution. Becoming snippy and insulting is exactly the WRONG way to seek support from ANY person. Remember that you are dealing with an individual PERSON, not INTEL, and conduct yourself accordingly. You’ll be GLAD that you did!

• 7. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
                      zzddrr

The root cause is that intel should not have released a half-baked product, period. Not a biggie as things can go wrong and issues can surface but good communication can help. Mjoyce4550, if you read my post very carefully then you would have noticed I mentioned I can wait. The problem is that intel is arrogantly refused to provide a timeline or in other words tell when an answer can be expected. Let me get this right, are we here for entertaining intel or they supposed to address the issues of the products they are selling? And please do not try to find something in my posts that was not there. Since you mentioned that "you're dealing with an individual PERSON" I would remind you to think about it what I just said about the lack of proper communication to the customer from the intel representatives.    

• 8. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
                        mjoyce4550

I think it is you who exhibit arrogance with your snide comments and casual insults ("just another place where the customer with valid questions is ignored?", "I am rapidly losing my patience with intel", "intel is incompetent answering questions in timely manner", "What kind of monkey business is intel?", "low quality incompetent answers intel has provided").

You ask for a timeline in resolving your unreasonable request that your NUC support a memory spec that it simply does NOT support. Have you been to the ARK site? ARK | Intel® Core™ i7-5557U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)

You ask product planning and/or marketing questions ("when will the skylake i7 become available with DDR4 in the NUCs?") more properly directed to presales people, not tech support.

Maybe you should start your own company and challenge Intel directly instead of taking potshots on this forum.

I'll tell you a quick story. When I am asked a "technical support" question, the answer to which I do not know, there are two possible answers. Those answers depend entirely on the overall demeanor of the questioner. If I like you, the answer is, "I don't know, but I will see what I can find out and get back to you ASAP". If I do NOT like you, the answer is, "I don't know".

If you ponder that, you might find that it is actually a very valuable life lesson.

• 9. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
                          kevin_intel

Hello zzddrr,

I am really sorry for the delay on responding your question. I know how frustrating this can be but I am willing to assist you and do my best to find the solution for you.

Based on a public article from our website (CS-035441), this NUC can handle memory up to 1866 MHz. At this point there is no information on possible features or coming NUCS or the abilities they will have.

You can check this information at this link:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dk-nuc5i7ryh/sb/CS-035441.htm?wapkw=intel+nuc+kit+nuc5i7ryh

Also, if you check the processor specifications, you will notice that the processor can handle up to 1866MHz as well:

http://ark.intel.com/products/84993/Intel-Core-i7-5557U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

There is a website where you can check all tested memory parts on Intel® NUCs:

http://www.cmtlabs.com/2012/memCertPartSearchAllintel-nuc.asp?bNav=1

There are many types of Memory and hardware and we don’t get to test all the parts available in the market.

Once again, I apologize for this inconvenience.

• 10. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
                            zzddrr

Mjoyce4550, what did you contribute here with your trolling comment? Nothing. So, if you cannot address my question then please find another forum for your pathetic comments. BTW, I loved your short story but there is a little problem with it. What you cannot comprehend is that I paid for a product and expect proper support. If I had somebody working for me with the mentality you described with your story I would release that person to the workforce very quickly... Why? Because the person is paid to provide the best possible service and not "I don't know...." even if the person can help or provide an honest answer. Ignoring the customers is simply unacceptable. Please note the keyword here honest. The reason why I described intel's service the way how I did is because I cannot see any honesty. See ... it works both way around. The problem with you view is that you seem to believe that customers are there to support a rubbish service. Think about it for a second that close to 70% of the respondents said that they are not satisfied with the current intel support. This is not a pretty number.

Please do not try to lecture and give me a life lesson. I am not here to argue about something that does not add any value to the bottom line but most importantly it does not solve my problem. Thus, I do not wish to further discuss my posts and how I feel about the quality of support intel provides. The fact is that my question has not been answered. And yes, I did look at all intel websites to find a solution.

Pretty soon (early tomorrow morning) I have to ship out this little unit. That was the reason why I wanted to push for an answer asap.

• 12. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
                              zzddrr

Thanks Kevin. This long thread could have been avoided if you told me you need time to check all options. I could have waited but as I mentioned above I need to ship this little unit and this is why it was urgent to find out what is going on.

Unfortunately I am already familiar with all those links. I also tested various memories with more or less success. For example, my Kingston Impact 1866MHz works fine but the Crucial 1866MHz does not want to boot. Thus, for the time being I will leave the Kingston in it.

I have more questions which are not that urgent:

1) Can you tell me please, what is the reason why this NUC cannot handle the 2133MHz memories?

2) Can we expect new i7 models in the near future? (e.g., next 6-12 months) [Note you kind of answered this in your previous post but I just asked it anyway.]

3) If so, is intel planning to change the layout of the motherboard? The reason why I am asking this is because I used a passive cooling case and if a newer model comes with the same layout I can just swap the boards. Also, I am planning to order (via friends as a groupbuy) a large number of custom made passive cooling cases and try to figure how to go about that.

4) When will DDR4 will become available in the NUCs?

5) HDMI 2.0? Is this something that can be updated from the current 1.4? Is intel planning to update that or we need to wait for a new NUC that is by default HDMI 2.0? (We have expect some 4K displays that have HDMI 2.0 only input. These are some custom made.)

6) Will intel offer the current i7 NUC board only? Who should I contact with to find this out if you cannot help?

I know these are a quite few questions so take your time but please update me about when I should check back. Many thanks

• 13. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
                                zzddrr

Mjoyce, yes always ahead and my friends used to tell me "cada loco con su tema"

Just kidding here

• 14. Re: Will intel enable or fix the NUC5i7RYH so DDR3L 2133MHz memory can be used with it?
                                  Intel_Paul

Zzddrr,

Thanks for the questions.

1st: The NUC5i7RYH cannot support 2133mhz memory because the i7 processor in it does not support that memory.

When systems are designed, and this definitely applies to this NUC, the engineers try to give each unit the best performance and features that they can based on the requirements being filled by designing a new unit. With a unit like a NUC, you have heat and power issues that arise with each step taken to increase performance. The NUC's are designed to bring a balance of features and price point to fulfill as many needs for as broad of a spectrum of end users just like every computer that is made.

2nd: As for the additional questions you asked we unfortunately cannot possibly answer them at this point in time. The questions that you are asking would require us to disclose future releases and products that are still under a variety of stages from Planning, Design, Testing, and so on. All of that information on new products is held completely by the product engineering groups and there is no way that information could be shared.

If you would like to have additional questions about future products addressed I would be happy to get you in contact with one of our people in the field and they may be able to have additional conversations about future product road maps. If that is something you would be interested in please let me know and I will get someone in touch with you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Paul

NUC & Desktop Board Product Support Engineer

Intel Customer Support

1 2 Previous Next