4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2015 3:10 AM by Yodal

Edison not showing as device on custom board

Yodal

I have been working on a project that involves a custom board. On this board I have placed a micro AB USB port so that the Edison can act as both a host and a device. When acting as a host everything works fine, but when plugged in as a device it no longer shows up on any of my computers. I have checked that the board is electrically sound and all traces seem fine. I know that the Edison's hardware is not at fault because when placed on the Arduino breakout board the USB device functionality works without a hitch. The last thing that I have been able to discover is that when the USB cable is plugged into the  Edison a message saying that the "dwc-device.1 is suspended." Are there any ideas of what could be going wrong and/or how I could fix this? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Edison no showing as device on custom board
          CMata_Intel

Hi Yodal

Are you using different cables to work with the custom board? Also, could you post the schematics related to USB in your custom board, this may be give us some ideas if there is something wrong in the hardware configuration.

Regards;

CMata

• 2. Re: Edison no showing as device on custom board
            Yodal

EdisonWatch/schematic at master · Yoda12999/EdisonWatch · GitHub

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/puisOcGF

The schematics there have been made with DesignsparkPCB. I would have used Eagle, but I needed 4 layers at minimum and my money was needed elsewhere. The traces have been re-routed since the design I am working with currently, but no nets have been modified.

The second link is the OSHPark project page where you can see the next best view of the board I am currently working with if you do not want to install DesignsparkPCB. Most traces are not hidden in the middle two layers as I only use those for a power plane and a ground plane.

I am using the same cables between both boards to cut down on the number of things that can be different.

• 3. Re: Edison not showing as device on custom board
              CMata_Intel

Hi Yodal

I'm sorry for the delay in my response. Do you have updates in this? How are you powering the custom board?

Also, in order to use the board as a device you need to use a different type of USB cable, I'm assuming you are using a type micro-A in order to use the OTG so you should use a type micro-B to be detected as a device. This is because the differences in the ID pin, this notifies the board which kind of configuration is using.

Regards;

CMata

• 4. Re: Edison not showing as device on custom board
                Yodal

The board is powered by a lipo battery soldered to the board being regulated by a TI BQ24073RGTT that charges the battery when the board is plugged in as a device. I am using a micro-A connector to plug in both the custom board and the Arduino breakout. I used a micro-B adapter to test that the custom board was able to act as a host. So far I have not had any time to investigate this problem further and might just assume that I did break something at some point and create yet another prototype, this time being much more careful.