4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2015 10:04 AM by KRack

Troubles setting up Yocto

KRack

For our first IoT project I'm looking into the Intel Edison.

One of my colleagues has warned me about Yocto  (he has experience with it on a BBB), which is as far as I know the only OS supported for the Edison. It's great when it works, but a pain in the behind to set-up. Do other developers share his sentiment and know a viable alternative for Yocto? Or should I dismiss his experience as 'BBB-only' and get started with it anyway?

There's plenty of *nix experience around, but only one with Yocto. We can't spare the resources to take weeks just to get the OS runnin

• 1. Re: Troubles setting up Yocto
          kona

Yes Edison comes with Yocto Linux. You can check for the latest image at http://www.intel.com/support/edison/sb/CS-035180.htm.

If you plan to use IoT devkit, please refer https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/getting-started and feel free to post your questions.

If you need related to the platform you cal always check the makers forum. So go ahead and start your project with no inhibitions. Good luck!

• 2. Re: Troubles setting up Yocto
            @intel_stewart

We have hundred of users at our hackathons build yocto based Edison project during the weekend, so no need to "spend weeks" getting the OS running. In fact if you do take weeks I would suggest you are doing it wrong.  Start with the preconfigured OS images we provide, add the extra  pieces you need from our repositories, and make something.  But please read the documentation, or browse the forums, or just google "setting up yocto for Edison" before trying to recreate the wheel.  Have a lok at our instructables iot hub also

• 3. Re: Troubles setting up Yocto
              samontab

There are other OS supported for the Edison, like Ubilinux for example, but Yocto is the officially supported one by Intel.

If you come from a Debian/Ubuntu experience, you may prefer using Ubilinux, but Yocto is perfectly fine, and it is not hard to use at all. It has a package manager (opkg), and all the basic tools you may need.

• 4. Re: Troubles setting up Yocto
                KRack

Thank you all for the feedback.

With this information in mind I'll try the default set-up first and see how it goes from there. It's perfectly plausible my colleagues bad experience has more variables than just working with Yocto alone. I've heard about Ubilinux and it seems like a good alternative to Yocto, but since it's not supported by Intel (it isn't, right?) my manager could have a hard time accepting it as alternative