11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2015 11:55 AM by Bsessa

USB communication

Bsessa

Has anyone seen any example projects or sample code where a Galileo communicates via USB to an android device?

I have seen several Arduino examples of this where the android cell phone functions as the operator interface.

It is now well know that many Arduino samples don't work on the Galileo therefor I have opened this discussion.  .

Thanks,

• 1. Re: USB communication
          Intel_Peter

Hello Bsessa,

What do you mean by: "…Galileo communicates via USB to an android device"?

Do you want the Galileo to act as host or vice versa?

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Peter.

• 2. Re: USB communication
            Bsessa

Peter,

As stated above I would like an android device(cell phone or  tablet) to communicate with the Galileo via a wired USB connection.

To explain further what this means I would like data (an ascii string less than 10 characters) to display on the android device or the Galileo to receive ascii characters from Android.

An other way to say this would be   I want an android to control the Galileo.

I am already doing this via an Ethernet connections between the Galileos and a Linux PC then the PC forwards messages to a network of Androids via USB.

Again, my needs are sample code using  a direct working USB wired connection (or through a USB hub) from Galileo to Android. Similar to many Arduino examples available.

The below Arduino example link ( which I did not test in on Galileo) claims to do this.

Android USB Host + Arduino: How to communicate without rooting your Android Tablet or Phone | Using Android in Industria…

Being I have observed the Intel forum support staff wasting countless hours trying to get Arduino examples to work on Galileo, only to learn Galileo much of the provided Arduino code does not run on Galileo,  I will wait for Intel's guidance.

Furthermore, It does not matter which device is the USB host because I am writing apps for both devices and they both have available power to function as host..

You now have the long winded answer to what I am trying to achieve hopefully you or someone could provide some sample code that works.   I also have the longer more verbose explanation or what I am trying to achieve if needed, but I can;t believe it will provide any more useful information .

Thanks,

• 3. Re: USB communication
              Bsessa

Peter,

This post got very quiet.

FYI- Intel-Alvarado said USB Communication is possible ( see below link.)  However, he provided no example code, link  or any useful information.

Thanks,

Arduino Mega ADK & Galileo serial communication

• 4. Re: USB communication
                Intel_Alvarado

Hi Brian,

I read the thread and checked the link you posted above. According to the guide, most of the coding is handled by the Android device App. The role of the Galileo is to simply manage the commands sent by the Android device. The Android app should be modified to send the correct commands to the Galileo. There are no sample codes for this, so you would probably have to write your own code.

Take a look at UsbDeviceConnection | Android Developers

Sergio

• 5. Re: USB communication
                  Bsessa

Thanks I have already been using this references.  It it possible to steer me to working Galileo USB communication example.  Any working sample code will be helpful.  I will take care of the android part. A sample where the Galileo broadcastsanything over USB that I could read with wire shark from my PC would be fine.

• 6. Re: USB communication
                    Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

Take a look at http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/ . You can find some useful information here.

Sergio

• 7. Re: USB communication
                      Bsessa

Thanks for the Link,  I am looking for a small sample code I could run in the Intel Galileo/Arduino environment.

I already have a complex Galileo PWM app developed on this platform and just wanted to add the USB Communication..

When can Intel provide a small working sample USB code?.

Thanks,

Brian

• 8. Re: USB communication
                        Intel_Alvarado

Hi

As stated on my previous message, there are no sample codes. We try to help community users with suggestions; however we can’t provide full code blocks. We encourage users to write their own code based on the suggestions given.

Sergio

• 9. Re: USB communication
                          Bsessa

Sergio,

I find your reply surprising. Based on your answer can we properly infer the marketing reference of Galileo being Arduino compatible is more scam than ethical marketing practice?

Intel clearly represents USB will function but the provided Arduino code does not run and no alternate solution, or and sample code  is offered when asked?

Has development stopped on the Galileo product and Intel now only wishes to harvest profit?

I have been a loyal customer purchasing Gen1 and Gen2 product, does Intel believe working USB communication examples are not important?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian

• 10. Re: USB communication
                            Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

Arduino certified Intel Galileo according to the certification program http://www.arduino.cc/en/ArduinoCertified/HomePage . If you have issue with the Arduino compatible certification then I suggest to raise your issues and concerns to Arduino to change their certification requirements. Intel appreciates customer’s feedback and will continue working on improving Galileo.

Sergio

• 11. Re: USB communication
                              Bsessa

Sergio ,

Thanks for that explanation.  I have better things to do than step into that political maze.  However please send this post to the proper Intel executives in hope of getting more support for the Galileo product.  This customers experience with Galileo boards  Gen1 and Gen2 is that Intel has done the minimum to meet a specification for marketing purpose at the expense of considering meeting customer satisfaction.  I bought my boards hoping Intel was a company that would attempt to exceed my expectations.    I was wrong and by your response it appears excuses and stories are more important than customers.

How long would it take an experienced Intel programmer to write a small USB  sample?  The few lines of code and a  fix to a library that I needed would possibly have taken less time than thinking up excuses in response to my posts.