cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have an Intel 480 SSD which I like very much.

SWEST4
New Contributor

That's only 2 months old and in my old laptop. I have a new powerful laptop on the way. My question is, what is the process of taking it out of my old laptop and placing in my new one and get it up and running?

5 REPLIES 5

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello gooddrive,

This process is quite easy and you can do it yourself, however, security measures must be taken in order to keep the SSD from damaging. Wearing an antistatic wrist strap would be a good way to prevent the buildup of static electricity that could damage the SSD or any computer component while handling it. Also it is important that you check the type of SSD you have and consult with the computer manufacturer how it can be placed and if can be placed. If you are not familiar with this kind of process, we highly recommend that you contact your computer manufacturer for the nearest authorized technicians that can do this job to ensure everything is going to be the way you expect.

Make sure the height of the SSD will fit the slot and also if it is compatible with your new system.

Let us know if you need anything else.

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello gooddrive,

Adding more information to this process, if you are intending to boot from the SSD, the drivers that are currently installed may not be the correct for the new laptop. Please, it is very important that you have a backup of all your relevant data such as programs...etc, before moving the SSD to the new laptop. Once you have the SSD installed in the new computer you will have to go through the process of installing the correct drivers. You may want to take a look at the steps below:

1 - Install your applications on the new hard drive on the new laptop.

2 - Copy your data to the new laptop using a USB stick or over a network.

3 - You can also use the Windows* Easy Transfer Wizard.

4 - Once you make sure all your applications and programs are working well on your new laptop and all your data is transferred, you can clone the drive in the new laptop to the SSD. *In this way, you avoid bringing old existing problems from the old computer into the new one, because every Windows installation is adapted to the particular hardware it was installed on.

Also, programs that require activation may cause a problem (and yes, they'd cause a problem if you cloned the drive, as well), but it's usually not a big problem. Generally, publishers will let you use their protected software on two computers for a limited period of time. After you uninstall the program from the old PC, you should have little or no trouble activating it on the new one.

Please let us know if you need any more information.

jsull5
New Contributor

Similar problem, but I want to do a data migration from the new laptop to the old drive. Apparently you need an enclosure that supports device ID, but there isn't a list of enclosures that support device ID.

any idea where I can get such a list (or recommended enclosures/cables)?

jim

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

seatllecurler,

We do not have a list of specific cables to use with the SSD. It depend on the cable itself and also on the USB port and the drivers. Have you tried a bootable media ? You can look here in this link : http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19324/eng/Intel_Data_Migration_Software_User_Guide_324324-002US.pdf Intel® Data Migration Software User Guide Appendix A page 12.