Do you have any other device that could be used as a hot spot so you can connect your PC to it and see if the same thing happens regarding downloads?
Trying to change the AP channels in 2.4GHz to a different one with less traffic may increase the speed as well.
Please, also take a look at these recommended settings that might help you as well.
We also need to consider the following steps so we can make sure the connection is optimized:
- Intel WiFi Products — Data rate will not exceed 54 Mbps when WEP or TKIP encryption is configured
- Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Possible interference by other wireless devices may impact 802.11n performance
- Intel® Wi-Fi Products — TechNote: Access Point interoperability issue with uAPSD
- Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Access Point (AP) firmware updates may resolve wireless network issues
- Wireless Networking — How to configure 802.11n channel bonding on Intel Wireless adapters
- Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Why am I not able to connect at 300 Mbps with my 802.11n device?
Let us know if this helped you.
Hi Aleki, thanks for your response.
+ I have tried this with two different routers/hotspots. Same results.
+ I've tried changing the channels. There is virtually no interference on the 5GHz band.
+ All recommended settings have been implemented
+ All Quick Checks have been completed.
+ Same results with encryption enabled or disabled.
+ uAPSD is disabled
+ Firmware is updated
+ Channel bonding has been both disabled and set to auto with the same results
SOME GLIMMER OF HOPE: By playing around with the 5GHz channels and switching to dynamic 20/40Hz I have been able to coax a bit more speed. I am now seeing speeds up to 14Mbps.
However this is still not good enough considering if I place a device in the exact same (laptop with a Centrino Advanced-N 6235 chip) I can regularly see speeds at 80Mbps and even over 100Mbps.
The 14Mbps by comparison is just not enough for an AC-enabled chip.
Your continued help is appreciated.
Please check if the antennas on your computer are seated properly. Could you please take a picture of how it is setup as well as how the antennas are connected?
Did you check if the antennas are seated correctly?
Yes I tried removing and reseating them.