Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Slow download speeds (Under 7Mbps) on AC 7260 - Gigabyte F2A88XN-WIFI

RAldr
Beginner

I have a Gigabyte F2A88XN-WIFI motherboard with the Intel AC 7260 wireless chip and Windows 8.1.

The PC is NOT having trouble connecting or staying logged on to wifi -- but the download speeds are SLOOOOWW.

Upgraded to driver v17.16.4.

Tried disabling Bluetooth.

Tried messing around with advanced settings as per these forums.

Tried connecting at 2.4GHz

Tried rolling back to driver v17.00.34.

Tried changing all power management settings to max performance.

Even tried running without antenna plugged in (no change to speed but signal strength showed as lower).

I cannot hit speeds over 6 or 7 Mbps. Other devices on my network regularly hit internet speeds of over 100Mbps.

In the windows wireless properties it shows the network speed at 180Mbps

Note: my Upload speeds are coming in at the ISP capped 20Mbps. It is just the download that seems affected.

Here's the real kicker, when I plug in an old USB 802.11N device (only supports 2.4GHz) I hit download speeds approaching 15Mbps!

Your help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello enderzero,

Do you have any other device that could be used as a hot spot so you can connect your PC to it and see if the same thing happens regarding downloads?

Trying to change the AP channels in 2.4GHz to a different one with less traffic may increase the speed as well.

Please, also take a look at these recommended settings that might help you as well.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings Wireless Networking — What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034658.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Quick Checks That Might Improve or Fix Connection Issues

We also need to consider the following steps so we can make sure the connection is optimized:

Let us know if this helped you.

RAldr
Beginner

Hi Aleki, thanks for your response.

+ I have tried this with two different routers/hotspots. Same results.

+ I've tried changing the channels. There is virtually no interference on the 5GHz band.

+ All recommended settings have been implemented

+ All Quick Checks have been completed.

+ Same results with encryption enabled or disabled.

+ uAPSD is disabled

+ Firmware is updated

+ Channel bonding has been both disabled and set to auto with the same results

SOME GLIMMER OF HOPE: By playing around with the 5GHz channels and switching to dynamic 20/40Hz I have been able to coax a bit more speed. I am now seeing speeds up to 14Mbps.

However this is still not good enough considering if I place a device in the exact same (laptop with a Centrino Advanced-N 6235 chip) I can regularly see speeds at 80Mbps and even over 100Mbps.

The 14Mbps by comparison is just not enough for an AC-enabled chip.

Your continued help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello enderzero,

Please check if the antennas on your computer are seated properly. Could you please take a picture of how it is setup as well as how the antennas are connected?

0 Kudos
RAldr
Beginner

I've tried moving the antenna around this area to little effect. Note another computer placed on top of this computer regularly hits 100Mbps over 802.11N.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello enderzero,

Did you check if the antennas are seated correctly?

0 Kudos
RAldr
Beginner

Yes I tried removing and reseating them.

0 Kudos