3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2009 2:31 PM by tundrahere

Negative Disk Space!!

458Bradley

I installed two 1.5Tb SATA drives in my D925XECV2 board as a RAID mirror and reloaded Windows XP.  Everything went fine until I tried to install Office 2003, and it told me I had -650Mb of disk space (that is NEGATIVE disk space) and refused to go any further.  I tried to install Office 2000, and go the same message.  The drive properties rightfully state it is a mirrored RAID, and that I have over 1.3 Tb of space.  So something in the board must be awry.  I can find nothing similar to this on web searches.  Anybody seen this before?

• 1. Re: Negative Disk Space!!
          tundrahere

I have the same problem (-650GB) but with a single 1.5TB Barracuda installing Office XP. Seems the size is not being processed to Office?

• 2. Re: Negative Disk Space!!
            458Bradley

I did two things at once that solved the problem, so I don't know which worked or whether it took both of them.  First, I made sure the RAID driver chosen was the one the motherboard "likes".  The RAID driver floppy disk that came with my Intel board contained six, but after searching many places, I found the D925 board chipset could use only two of them - and preferred one over the other.  BTW, the Windows XP installation ignored my F6 pressing and went right along to "setup did not find any hard drives....".  I had to download and use nLite to make a substitute CD for the installation (cool program).  Second, after installing XP, I went to the Microsoft site and started the update process before doing anything else.  After going through about 100 updates and six reboots, I got from SP1 to SP3 before Bill was finished fixing his OS.  Now I put in the Office 2003 disk and crossed my fingers.  Everything worked just fine, and the machine boots wonderfully fast.

• 3. Re: Negative Disk Space!!
              tundrahere

Since I do not have raid set up in this machine I went straight to installing SP3 and that solved the problem!  I was heading there anyway but your answer led me straight to SP3 first.. Thanks.