13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 8:46 PM by STR-Linux

Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?

andreacuozzo

Hi,

I'm Andrea from Italy, and I'm trying to find information on using M.2 SSD PCIe card (not Sata card) with the NUC5i5MYHE kit (NUC5i5MYBE board). The Intel tested peripherals page lists M.2 Sata cards only:

Intel® NUC Boards and Kits — Tested Peripherals

and the CMTLABS page, lists M.2 Sata cards only, too:

CMTL > Search > Tested Motherboard

The most talked about M.2 PCIe cards of the internet, the Samsung XP941 or SM951, are type M cards, so I can't use them on the Type B slot on the NUC5i5MYBE board. I'm looking for a 256 GB card, and the only one I might be able to buy round here seems to be the Plextor PX-G256 M6e: M.2, PCie x2 (which is ok with me, because the NUC5i5MYBE board supports x1 and x2 only, no x4), B + M type so it can fit the B type slot. But when you look a this review, there seems to be a big issue on the high temperature of both ssd cards; they might call for an heatsink that's not probably going to fit the NUC case:

Samsung XP941 & Plextor PX-G256 M6e M.2 Qualification - Puget Custom Computers

My research is about finding the right configuration for a large projects, I don't feel comfortable in buying 500 NUCs only to see them coming back my way three months later with a burnt SSD card. I'd really like to buy something that at least is listed in the Intel compatible list, maybe there's an updated version of the list with some PCIe cards too ?

So, if anyone is actually using an M.2 PCIe card with the NUC5i5MYHE, can you please share your info and experience with me ? (what model, does it work, has burnt, ...)

thanks

andrea

• 1. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
          hansb_intel

Hi,

We can wait to see if other users can give their feed back with the use of the SSD’s, However, take into consideration that the NUC has a silicone thermal pad and it is placed directly above the card. It is designed to help dissipate heat from the SSD, so overheating should not be an issue.

• 2. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
            andreacuozzo

Hi Siberio, and thanks for the input about the thermal pad: I'd really like to wait for someone who can share a working experience with its PCIe SSD on the NUC5i5MYHE, it strikes me as odd there's no PCIe card on Intel's compatible card list.

• 3. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
              Onno123

Hi Andrea

I am using the Plextor PX-G256 M6e  in the NUC5i3MYHE. I read some about this one and it seems it can use up till around 8 watts if writing a lot of data.

As you can achieve around 680 Mbytes/sec it probably depends on what you are doing if it will become hot.

I tried CrystalDiskInfo 6.1.12 but this doesn't show me the SSD temperature. The plextool software only tells me temperature is 'green'

Is there anything I can try to find it out?

• 4. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
                Rob77

Hi Andrea,

I am using a Samsung XP941 M2.SSD PCIe x4 with my NUC5i5RYH.  I haven't had any trouble with temp - though as far as i know the Samsung XP941 doesn't have a temperature sensor and it doesn't seem to run hot.  The thermal pad sits right on top of the drive and appears to be doing its job.

Hope this helps.

Rob

• 5. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
                  andreacuozzo

Thank you Rob77, can you tell me how long have you been using it ? My research is about a remotely manageable (vPro) secure (TPM) and fast NUC for business desktop replacement, that's why my focus is on the NUC5i5MYHE, that supports both vPro and TPM.

Thanks

Andrea

• 6. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
                    michael.amrhein

Hi Onno,

I tried to run a PX-G256 M6e  in a NUC5i5MYHE, but the BIOS does not recognize the SSD.

Did you change the setting of the SATA Disk-on-Module (DOM) Voltage Selection Header?

Which version of the BIOS do you have installed?

Thanks,

Michael

• 7. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
                      Onno123

Hi Michael

I didn't change  the SATA DOM setting. Not sure but to me this seems not related to PCIe.

For me it worked just fine out of the box, firmware Plextor is 1.04. NUC BIOS version is MYBDWi30.86A.0028

See the BIOS setup below

ss1.jpg

Regards,

Onno

• 8. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
                        Rob77

Andrea,

I have only been using my NUC with the Samsung XP941 drive for about two weeks.  I do use it for Windows Media Center so it is always on and it does hit some pretty decent size loads from time to time and hasn't had any problems.

Thanks,

Rob

• 9. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
                          andreacuozzo

Hi Onno,

and thanks, I've missed your first answer: can you tell me how long have you been using your PX-G256 M6e in the NUC5i3MYHE ? I mean, was it for a brief test only, or are you using it on a consistent basis ?

@Rob77: thank you!

@Some_Intel_representative_reading_this: would it be possibile to have a technical word from Intel on this ? Something like:

- no PCIe SSDs have made the Intel compatibility list because:

a) we feel they might not work as expected

b) they work and are reliable, but no manufacturer is willing to spend the money to get it certified yet

c) and so on...

NUC is nice, but it's not nearly as unexpensive as to leave its business oriented support (that is, buying large quantities) to what the communities have/haven't already tested. My proposed configuration (NUC5i5MYHE, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB PCIe SSD, 1TB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s, wireless card) goes by the 1K euros a-piece (if I ever find a NUC5i5MYHE reseller round Italy, they seem to sell NUC5i5RYH only) to buy in the hundreds, but right now I feel like I'm relaying on the community members only for some critical piece of information. Or maybe there is a business oriented Intel channel to use, in this case can you tell me how to get to it ?

andrea

• 10. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
                            michael.amrhein

Hi Onno,

thanks for the infos.

The latest BIOS version offered for the NUC5i5MYHE is 0022. On its SATA tab there is no label 'M.2 PCIe SSD':

MYi50022.SATA.jpg

The PCI tab show the M.2 2280 port as not populated:

MYi50022.PCI.jpg

I will ask the Intel support whether the different BIOS versions may be the reason for the different behavior.

Thanks again, best regards,

Michael

• 11. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
                              Onno123

Hi Andrea

I bought this Plextor PCIe SSD March 1st and its in the NUC since then. Since I checked the bill for this I also found the following

on the bill I didn't see earlier. (translated from Dutch)

Plextor on-site warranty: if you have problems or defects after 8 days, warranty is handled via Plextor with the telephone number of Plextor

So maybe its a good idea to contact Plextor and ask them about the temperature issue.  It seems nobody reported this one working in the nucI5 so

you can indeed just buy one and if its not working send it back within 8 days, but still I agree this is not the best way to find out.

As I said before the Plextor can consume around 8 watts. I checked with the NUC open and if idle its temperature 'feels'  around 30 deg.

Copying a directory from a second SSD on 2.5inch SATA3 with around 18G / 7800 pictures temperature 'feels' around 60 degrees after 2 minutes.

So I think the observation in the test you mention is correct, it will be hot if you copy 100GB but only if you copy it from a source that can provide 500MB sec

If your second drive is not an SSD how can you do that?

One other interesting 'phrase' I found in the plextool software you can see below

DRIVE TEMPERATURE: Plextor SSD can keep the best performance under room temp. If the system is overheated, the thermometer will turn to red.

Please kindly be advised that drive speed will be adjusted (slow down) in order to keep the drive operation stability.

So if I have to believe this 93 deg is still not a problem? But who can tell if 93 deg is bad for the SSD, probably Plextor itself only.

The cooling pad in the NUC will  bring down temp around 10 deg I think.  I have seen this in my other NUC with mSata drive (with temp sensor).

I was wondering why you don't consider a Sata M.2 drive since there you can definitely find one working fine.

I am not so sure the PCIEx2 drives have much advantage over sata3 other than higher sequential read/write speeds. The price is double compared to Sata.

Maybe you have seen my question about if the M.2 sata is indeed 6Gb/s. This was confirmed, however look at the plextool screen!

Untitled.jpg

Regards,

Onno

• 12. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
                                michael.amrhein

Hi Andrea,

the problems I had with the NUC5i5MYHE and the Plextor PX-G256 M6e were obviously caused by a hardware defect in the NUC.

My dealer exchanged the unit and the new did recognize the M.2 PCI SSD:

MYi50022.SATA.M2.BMP

I'm running it for about 2 weeks now without any problems.

Best regards,

Michael

• 13. Re: Anyone using SSD PCIe with the NUC5i5MYHE / NUC5i5MYBE ?
                                  STR-Linux

Try this. I made Clik SATA port Hot Plug Capability (all SATAs an ex: only SSD' s and External or other that have USB 3.X goes to works the correct velocity.

(it's not influence in other 2.0 etc)

A Sugestion:

The excess of rec in I/O in SSD decrease the life time.

1-Not use expand memory virtualization. I use fixed 10GB. (I think use zero)

2-If use S.O. Linux if you have you can all...Configure to Clean a Daily (change =30) because Thumbnails stay damage de original as 180 days (6 months!)

3-Reduce all /temp files as possible).

4. The sense , I think and use also space litle unallocate partition in case of any risc to need and protect I/O...5at10GB deppend your Space in SSD.

Have more other efficient forms as optimizer.

The Solis Stade Drive uses more than 10 years as new.

My SSD Kingstown goes more fast than a Raptor Stealth!!! (no more than 3 seconds to inicialize S.O.)

(a halfpast days a transfer bigs quntities of files...hours and now made in 12 seconds)

(excuse me my english)