10 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 2:03 PM by hansb_intel

NUC5i3RYH sound stutters while display is off

gizmoboy

I have an issue regarding my NUC5i3RYH. Music playing starts stuttering when display turns off by Windows Power Options. It happens in both cases: transferring audio to my speakers via bluetooth and 3.5 mm jack. These are the same speakers I've been using flawlessly with other devices (laptop, mobile phone, tablet) via both types of connections for years. Operation system is Windows 8.1 64-bit and all drivers (including BIOS) are up-to-date. Please help me... thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: NUC5i3RYH sound stutters while display is off
          hansb_intel

Hi,

Please let me know what media player you are using and what are your current power option settings and I’ll test thee NUC and try to replicate the issue.

• 2. Re: NUC5i3RYH sound stutters while display is off
            gizmoboy

Hi,

It's an existing issue no matter what plays music... I have experienced stuttering with all my players: Winamp (playing local mp3), Spotify and Deezer (streaming music in Chrome browser). Here you can find 2 (poor quality) videos just made to show you the symptom: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3793355/Deezer.mp4 + https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3793355/Winamp.mp4

In case of Deezer stuttering is much worse I think. As for my Windows Power Options, they're almost default settings of Balanced mode. I've just made 3 changes in lines where default value is in square brackets:

Balanced > Require a password on wakeup: No

Hard disk > Turn off hard disk after: 20 Minutes

Internet Explorer > JavaScript Timer Frequency: Maximum Performance

Desktop background settings > Slide show: Available

Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode: Maximum Performance

Sleep > Sleep after > 60 Minutes [30 Minutes]

Sleep > Allow hybrid sleep: On

Sleep > Hibernate after: Never

Sleep > Allow wake timers: Enable

USB settings > USB selective suspend setting: Enabled

Intel(R) Graphics Settings > Intel(R) Graphics Power Plan: Balanced

Power buttons and lid > Power button action > Hibernate [Shut down]

Power buttons and lid > Sleep button action > Sleep

PCI Express > Link State Power Management > Moderate power savings

Processor power management > Minimum processor state: 5%

Processor power management > System cooling policy: Active

Processor power management > Maximum processor state: 100%

Display > Turn off display after: 15 Minutes [10 Minutes]

Display > Enable adaptive brightness > Off

• 3. Re: NUC5i3RYH sound stutters while display is off
              hansb_intel

Hello gizmoboy,

I tried replicating your issue, using the same settings and using multiple media players, but the stuttering did not occur. In the video that you attached I could see the problem and it seems like “DPC Latency Issue”, you can check the following link on how to diagnose and fix the problem:

How to Diagnose and Fix High DPC Latency Issues

You can also try reinstalling windows and drivers.

• 4. Re: NUC5i3RYH sound stutters while display is off
                hansb_intel

Hello gizmoboy,

I just wanted to check if you were able to resolve the problem.

• 5. Re: NUC5i3RYH sound stutters while display is off
                  gizmoboy

Hi hansb_intel,

Thank you for checking my problem, really appreciate that. I have tried to diagnose and fix the issue according to the linked topic. Let's see what I got:

• DPC Latency Checker: it shows yellow level by default, and latency goes up to red level when display turns off, as you can see here:

DPC - Deezer.png

So, now it's a fact that I have (serious) latency issues.

• Windows Performance Analyzer:

WinPerfAnalyzer.png

• LatencyMon:

LatencyMon - Main.png

LatencyMon - Processes.png

LatencyMon - Drivers.png Note: this list is not sorted by Total execution but Highest...

LatencyMon - CPUs.png

And now I'm quite lost because as I see I have more than one problematic drivers here, in addition it seems to me that the number of pagefaults is also an issue. Could anyone help me fix this disaster? Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Ákos aka gizmoboy

• 6. Re: NUC5i3RYH sound stutters while display is off
                    hansb_intel

Hi gizmoboy,

I would suggest to disable different drivers in device manage to see if you can isolate the one that is giving you problems, it could be any driver that is interfering with the power options causing latency.

• 7. Re: NUC5i3RYH sound stutters while display is off
                      gizmoboy

Hi hansb_intel,

I have disabled all possible devices one by one while I was watching the DPC latency level and none of them reduced the default level of 1 ms (yellow range). So nothing has happened, I still have serious latency issues. I'm just planning an OS install to an empty partition of my HDD to be able to experiment on a raw system. What do you think?

It's a bit strange that after identifying the drivers causing DPC latency issues they can't be fixed directly.

• 8. Re: NUC5i3RYH sound stutters while display is off
                        hansb_intel

Hi gizmoboy,

A fresh install can be the next option, but try a do a windows clean boot first.

Just make sure to select  ‘hide all Microsoft services’ to disable the third party services only.

You can find the instructions in the following link:

How to perform a clean boot

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

• 9. Re: NUC5i3RYH sound stutters while display is off
                          gizmoboy

Hi hansb_intel,

I've done both. First I've applied a clean boot just the way described and the default DPC Latency level remained in yellow range although it didn't stutter or go red after display went off. Then I re-enabled all services and startup apps and nothing's changed, DPC Latency is still in yellow range and no stuttering so far (which is surprising for me, maybe the lack is just temporary).

Then I've installed a Windows 8.1 x64 OS to an empty partition of my HDD. Since the OS doesn't contain the driver of the built-in Wi-Fi module, I didn't even have internet connection, so we can say it was a completely raw system. It's sad that DPC Latency was in yellow range by default and LatencyMon measured serious troubles in a short time. I've taken several screenshots but I don't wanna insert them here unnecessarily, so please tell me if you need them. Long story short, it seems the following drivers are problematic in case of both (customised and raw) systems: dxgkrnl.sys, Wdf01000.sys.

• 10. Re: NUC5i3RYH sound stutters while display is off
                            hansb_intel

Since both drivers are from Microsoft*, I think it is best to contact MS support for this, you will find some reports for latency issues with dxgkrnl.sys. You can also consider a fresh OS install but with another image.