4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2015 4:52 AM by Amus

GSM Client

Amus

Hello everyone,

I am using the Arduino GSM Shield, but i am facing some problems.

How am I supposed to set up a client in order to send HTTP GET/POST data?
      The Arduino official library is not compatible because it relies on the SoftwareSerial lib.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: GSM Client
          DiegoV_Intel

Hi Amus,

I will suggest you to check the Shield Testing Report. On page 76 you will find a test report for the Arduino* GSM Shield.  There are some notes about it, including a note regarding the SoftwareSerial library and a test code as well. At the end of the report it states that this shield is Edison compatible so I think you will find it very useful.

Regards,

Diego.

• 2. Re: GSM Client
            Amus

I have already seen that shield test, my problem concerns how to set up something like the WifiClient, which sends and receives HTTP data.
            I also have another question, is it possible to connect more than one serial Shield? I have the GSM shield and a GPS one, can I connect both?

• 3. Re: GSM Client
              DiegoV_Intel

Hi Amus,

If you want to set up an application like the WiFiClient the GSM shield is not necessary. There are some examples in the Arduino IDE for WiFi applications. I will suggest you to check them. Since the Edison has WiFi embedded you don't need a shield for the WiFi examples.

Regarding your other question about using more than one serial Shields, it is not possible because the shields would be sharing the same serial bus (pins 0 and 1). There would be data conflict between the shields and the Edison, and none of them would work.

Regards,

Diego.

• 4. Re: GSM Client
                Amus

Actually, I need to use a GSM Shield to avoid WiFi.

I have solved everything, even the multiple serial connection, I used a relay which acts like a bridge for the RX cable, and switches between the data arriving form the gps and from the gsm.

Thank you.