13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2015 8:55 AM by kevin_intel

Booting into Windows after BIOS update

Bloodstalker

Hi there, I have an Intel Desktop Board DB75EN BIOS Version 0046 and I am having trouble booting into Windows.  Now I recently updated my BIOS to 0046 and ever since then I can't boot into Windows.  I've tried changing the Boot Order, turning off Optical Drive boot etc and Nothing seems to work.  Now for my Boot drive order i see SATA : Port 6G 0 : Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 : PART 0 : Boot Drive, then I have UEFI : SATA : PORT 6G 0 : Windows Boot Manager : Part 1 : OS Bootloader, then I have SATA : PORT 3 : HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40, and finally UEFI : SATA : PORT 6G 0 : Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 : Part 1 :OS Bootloader.  Now these options are under boot menu type Advanced.  Under boot menu type nornal the Hard Driver Order is as follows: [P0: Hitachi HDS723020BLA], [], [], [], [], [].  Now I've tried changing the boot order multiple times, but i can't seem to get it to boot to the hard drive.  I do have pictures of my bios, but I can't seem to insert them for some reason.

Brad

• 1. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
          N.Scott.Pearson

Brad,

Without going into too many details, depending upon what's been fixed/added/upgraded from one particular BIOS release to another, certain parameters in BIOS Setup could have had their current - and sometimes even default - setting changed. My suggestion is that, whenever you upgrade the BIOS, you use F9 to reset all parameters to their default settings and then go through them and modify those necessary.

The typical reasons for a BIOS upgrade causing Windows to stop booting are the SATA Mode changing (from RAID to IDE, for example) or the Boot Mode changing (from AHCI to Legacy, for example). Check both of these parameters.

...Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
            Bloodstalker

When I upgraded the BIOS I actually did press F9 to change the settings to default.  What I mentioned above is my current settings.  And the boot mode is AHCI, but I don't seem to have a SATA mode, at least I'm not sure if I do.

Brad

• 3. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
              Bloodstalker

I have figured out how to insert the pictures I took, so below are all the settings in my BIOS that I felt were probably important to screenshot.

IWP_20150423_09_01_07_Pro.jpgWP_20150423_09_01_41_Pro.jpgWP_20150423_09_02_32_Pro.jpgWP_20150423_09_03_04_Pro (2).jpgWP_20150423_09_03_32_Pro.jpg

I hope these help.  If you need me to take any other pics of the BIOS I definitely can.

...Brad

• 4. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
                N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm, not 100% sure it will make a difference, but, in the Boot Drive Order display, the (highlighted) entry for legacy booting the HDD is ahead of the entries for UEFI booting. Try moving it after the UEFI entries.

...S

• 5. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
                  kevin_intel

Based on the images, the chipset mode is set as AHCI. Did you have the chipset mode set as raid before? If so, try changing it back to RAID.

Kevin M

• 6. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
                    Bloodstalker

I've tried changing the order and again it didn't boot up.

• 7. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
                      Bloodstalker

It is currently set to AHCI and the other option is IDE.  I don't have a RAID option.  I'm just curious if there is a way to delete or add boot options in the bios.  I'm just curious if one of the boot options is causing a conflict of some sort.  there is one thing I forgot to mention, I've tried turning off Legacy boot before, however the problem with that is that when it restarts nothing appears on my monitor.   I did figure out the cause though, it appears when I chose legacy boot disabled it somehow disable my external video card and would default to the onboard video output, it was producing an Event Log ( video optionrom authenticate fail errors).  Then maybe 30 minutes later the computer booted into windows (still connected to the external video card), and the video card was working again.  so i'm thinking I need it set to legacy boot.

• 8. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
                        kevin_intel

If you are running Windows 7 you must have the Legacy Boot enabled. This is because Windows 7 is still a legacy Operating System but you this is not needed for Windows 8 or higher Operating System versions.

• 9. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
                          Bloodstalker

I normally use Windows 8.1, but right now I have been using Windows 10 Technical Preview.  Also the problem is if I turn off Legacy boot, my video card stops working.  There was one time though that the video card started working again after about 30 minutes and then booted into windows.  If I do need to disable legacy boot, is there an option I need to change so that the video card doesn't get disabled? and that it boots into windows right away.

brad

• 10. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
                            Bloodstalker

So just now I decided that I was gonna try and reinstall windows to see if that would do anything, so the first thing I did was I turned USB boot on and unplugged all of my USB devices.  I then installed a bootable usb device, but instead of booting to the bootable usb, it booted into Windows.  I then realized that it appears that one of my usb devices is causing windows not to boot so I decided to try and figure out which one it was.  So I unplugged my external hard drive, rebooted the computer and next thing you know it booted into Windows.  So what i'm wondering is, is what do I need to do in order to boot my computer into windows without having to always unplug my external hard drive.  I've had no problem in the past of booting into windows with it plugged in, so I really don't want to have to unplug it and plug it back in all the time if I can help it.

brad

• 11. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
                              kevin_intel

There may be something on the code of the BIOS upgrade you did that is causing some compatibility issues. My recommendation is to roll back to the version you had when it was working fine.

• 12. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
                                Bloodstalker

Is there not a setting that i'm missing somewhere that I just need to change.  Also I went from a bios of like 0026 to 0047 or something like that.  So I'm not sure what to roll it back to.

• 13. Re: Booting into Windows after BIOS update
                                  kevin_intel

Hello Bloodstalker,

Please try reseating the BIOS to default settings by pressing F9. Once you do this, restart the system saving all changes and then access the BIOS again and make sure the Chipset mode is set to the mode it was originally when the Operating System was installed.

It would be a good idea to change the boot priority and select the HDD as the main device when booting up.

Kevin M