4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2015 9:40 AM by allene

One of my Edisons only boots half the time

allene

I have 4 Edisons.  One of them boots 6 out of 10 tries (about half).  They have the same image and are running the same code.  They are not, however, identical as one comes up with a microkernal date of Ap;ril 24, 2014 and the one that doesn't work has January 13, 2015.  I bought them at the same time from Newegg.

When it doesn't work, it always stops at the same place.  Below is what I see.  The problem followed the Edison, not the breakout board.  My testing involves applying power to both boards  with a battery at the same time.  One always boots, the other only half the time.  What should I do?

Allen

PSH KERNEL VERSION: b0182929

WR: 20104000

SCU IPC: 0x800000d0  0xfffce92c

PSH miaHOB version: TNG.B0.VVBD.0000000c

microkernel built 10:14:01 Jan 13 2015

******* PSH loader *******

PCM page cache size = 192 KB

Cache Constraint = 0 Pages

Arming IPC driver ..

Adding page store pool ..

PagestoreAddr(IMR Start Address) = 0x04899000

pageStoreSize(IMR Size)          = 0x00080000

*** Ready to receive application ***

• 1. Re: One of my Edisons only boots half the time
          Intel_Peter

Hello allene,

I've seen similar behaviors using the Mini Breakout board, the issue is that the power supply (I don't know if you are using the same when you change between breakouts) is not providing the board enough power to function. Could you try with a different power supply? If that doesn't help, have you tried reflashin the board and setting it up again to see if anything changes? Is there any difference between this Edison and the others?

Peter.

• 2. Re: One of my Edisons only boots half the time
            allene

Intel_Peter

That is what I thought it was at first. But now I have done some more testing and I think the module is bad. I am using a stack of 10 AA Nickel Metal Hydride batteries that are rated at 2AH so it should be capable of supplying 1 amp per module.  I have also tried a lab supply with just this one module like I have been doing for the past 5 months.  I may point out that I have been using Edisons since November.  I only have a problem with one unit. It is not a function of which breakout board it is plugged into or which kernel is flashed.  I have tried ww-05-15 and a custom built kernal and the behavior is the same.  Only boots about half the time.  My conclusion is that the module is bad and I have submitted a warranty claim.

• 3. Re: One of my Edisons only boots half the time
              Intel_Peter

Hello allene,

I just checked with the warranty team and they will continue the support for your issue.

Peter.

• 4. Re: One of my Edisons only boots half the time
                allene

Yes, they have said they will issue an RMA. I am just waiting for that to happen.  I bought a replacement so I will end up with an extra, which is a good thing.  Thanks for your help.