2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 2:06 PM by estinson

DQ965GF no AHCI

estinson

Trying to install 32-bit XP from scratch, I cannot get windows setup to recognize the HDD. When I checked the inf of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers, the device ID for the SATA controllers is not listed. I checked a previous version and it was the same. Is there a driver I can use that will let me run the SATA drive in AHCI mode?

• 1. Re: DQ965GF no AHCI
          Aryan2411

Hello,

Here are the steps that i will do:

I will set these options in the bios:
          Configure SATA as AHCI
          Save and Exit

If you have an internal floppy disk drive on the system, then it will be even easier.
          Download the F6 driver for the Intel Matrix Raid on to the a formatted floppy disk

Website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8Clearance.aspx?sType=&agr=Y&ProductID=2372&DwnldID=15251&url=/15251/eng/STOR_all32_f6flpy32_8.9.0.1023_PV.zip&PrdMap=&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows%20XP%20Professional*&lang=eng

Insert the OS cd on the system, press F6 to load the Intel Matrix Raid Driver.
          Press S to Specify the location of the driver
          It should be from the floppy disk.
          Then continue to the OS installation.
          Install the chipset driver and all other drivers and Intel Storage Matrix Manager.

Now if your system does not come with an internal floppy disk drive, otherwise use a software to slipstream the driver and thus creating a new OS already integrated with the F6 drivers. Make a new Bootable ISO image and burn it on a CD.
          Software like Nlite allows you to do this.

Check this website for Nlite:
          http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-029550.htm

Burn the new OS image onto a CD
          Install the OS
          Install all the latest drivers from the Website in the following order Chipset, GFX, Audio, Lan, Intel Storage Matrix Manager etc.
          That's all - i never got any problem so far on any Intel Desktop Boards.

Note: Windows Vista/7 and Windows 2008 should already have the drivers in the OS. Some external USB floppy drive does not work.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 2. Re: DQ965GF no AHCI
            estinson

I wish that would work. I wasn't too specific in my initial post, but I have done exactly that. Also, I tried a couple of previous driver versions. So far, none of the drivers work. The problem seems to be that the device ID's for the SATA on this board are not included in the inf's. So, when I try a fresh install of XP_SP3 (using F6 !) the system will not see the drive. I gave up and installed the OS using IDE mode for the HDD. I don't know what the deal is with Intel's drivers, but I wish they would pull the link for this driver from the driver list for that board.