0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2015 1:42 PM by mihocbu

Intel Galileo - Linux on SDCard - RTC time not persistent

mihocbu

Problem with RTC, after could reboot (have to disconnect power) the time is reset back to 2001. Real time is lost.

Board GalileoGen2

Runnig system Linux from SD CARD (standard image file from Intel Download SD-Card Linux Image, 48MB SDCard.1.0.4.tar.bz2)

I have spent a lot of time with this problem (I am new here). Mr. Google did not find any solution and that is why I am writting the information here.

At first I thought that the problem is hardware based. I checked voltage on PCB and so on. But the problem was in software. Startup scripts at boot time test if RTC time is "after" latest timestamp. Unfortunately there is a problem with busybox "date" command. Busybox version of "date" command does not accept format as used in scripts. It is necessary to correct them this way:

In /etc/init.d/save-rtc.sh and /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh find date -u +%4Y%2m%2d%2H%2M and replace it by date -u +%Y%m%d%H%M

For simple reference:

Command "date" displays curent system (that is Linux) time. To set system time use something like this date -u +%Y%m%d%H%M -s "201504311545"

To save system time to RTC use hwclock -w

To display RTC use hwclock

To copy time from RTC to system use hwclock -s