11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 5:01 PM by EstebanC_Intel

SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS

phemfrog

any reason why a Samsung EVO 850 SSD (SATA) wont work in my new NUC5i5ryh?  doesnt appear in BIOS.  SSD works fine in my other PC.  tried another regular SATA 2.5inch drive, and the NUC bios sees that fine.

i realize now that the drive is not listed in the tested compatible list, but why wouldnt it work?  i dont know enough about the technology of SSDs, so what am i missing?

• 1. Re: SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS
          Nixiedesk

phemfrog wrote:

any reason why a Samsung EVO 850 SSD (SATA) wont work in my new NUC5i5ryh?  doesnt appear in BIOS. 

I have the exact same SSD in my i5RYH (120GB). You have the latest BIOS? Make sure your SATA controller is set to AHCI. Are you running Windows?

• 2. Re: SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS
            BartM

OS version doesn't matter when it's not shown in the BIOS

I've got a 850 EVO 250GB working fine here. Did update the BIOS to the latest version so I'd check that first.

• 3. Re: SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS
              phemfrog

Okay, I updated the BIOS to version 246 (the latest).  it flashed with no problems.  i chose AHCI in the SATA menu and saved and exited.   when i go into the BIOS, it still says 'not installed' for the SATA port.

and to reiterate, i tested the SATA port and cable by putting another drive in there and it was detected fine.  the EVO SSD drive itself is detected.  i was able to partition it and format it NTFS in my other PC and i copied a file to it.  i made no other changes to the BIOS.

i have Crucial memory installed and it seems to be wroking fine.

ideas?

• 4. Re: SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS
                WillNUC

I had an identical issue with a 2.5" SSD when I built my NUC. The BIOS insisted no drive was present although Windows 8.1 could see the drive when I tried to do a Windows install.

My remedy was to return the SSD to Amazon and instead purchase a Crucial M-SATA drive.

• 5. Re: SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS
                  BartM

Can you try the following:

- Remove the SSD from the NUC.

- Boot the NUC (without the SSD)

- Turn it off again

- Reinstall the SSD in the NUC

- Boot again and check if it is now recognized

If this doesn't work I'd just try to reset the BIOS (normal way first and if still not working via the jumper). My hunch is some settings from the previous BIOS version are still retained and still causing the issue.

• 6. Re: SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS
                    phemfrog

i have taken it out and booted the NUC with no hard drive.  i also booted it with a regular SATA drive in it.  i put the EVO SSD back in.  still not detected.  i bought an M.2SSD and it is working great, OS installed.

the only thing i have not done is mess with the jumper.  i am not sure how to do that.

thanks for all the replies. 

• 7. Re: SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS
                      joe_intel

Did you check for firmware updates for you SSD?

• 8. Re: SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS
                        dougho

If your trouble was with 2.5" Samsung SSD (not M.2), I have a suggestion.  Those drives are usually thin such as 7mm instead of 9.5mm.  When I first inserted mine, I had similar problem because it was not making proper contact with the SATA data/power connectors.  It was also obvious if you looked at the screw holes which are supposed to align through the side of grey metal to the side of the SSD (so you can insert two tiny screws supplied by Intel).  I pulled my SSD back out (I may have used something like screwdriver to help) and then more carefully re-inserted it with the proper alignment so that it made contact and screw holes aligned to allow inserting the screws - then it worked.

• 9. Re: SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS
                          BartM

What dougho said makes sense, it's looking more and more like a mechanical issue.

In addition to what dougho said you can also use another SATA cable, connect it to the MOBO and run power from another PC. That way you can rule out/confirm that the connector is causing the problem.

• 10. Re: SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS
                            John9Nelson

Having same problem with my NUC5i5RYH and getting it to detect my Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 - 250GB ssd. If I put it in an enclosure and connect it via the usb3 port it sees it good but windows will not load to it there. I have opened a case with Intel # 00223998. I have two different drives and get the same no detect from both.  I have the latest BIOS version 0352. loaded. Please help!

• 11. Re: SSD not recognized by NUC5i5RYH BIOS
                              EstebanC_Intel

Hello:

Thank you for advising us about this issue.

If you have tested the unit with different compatible drives, chances are that the interfaces in the NUC may be defective.

Regards,

Esteban C