9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 8:23 AM by rgb

Ethernet web server (while using with DHCP) in Arduino IDE not working on Galileo Gen 2

Swamy_Govinda

Hi

I used Arduino Ethernet web server and connected it to Internet.

It is not working...I mean using another computer connected to same LAN using Internet. At this time I am not able to access this Ethernet Web server using it's IP address.

But when i connected my Galileo to another computer directly and configured the IP address on the local computer to make sure both are on the same LAN,

at this time I am able to access Galileo Ethernet Web server using it's IP on local computer.

I searched on Internet and I got this below 3 links (these three link are interconnected I mean from one link discussion is forwarded to other link)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8736791/arduino-dhcp-not-working

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/67045/ethernet-begin-only-works-with-sd-card-removed-why

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/67212/how-to-avoid-sd-card-and-w1500-spi-mixup-on-the-ethernet-shield

These links discussed about Arduino board...

Is similar problem exists in Galileo Gen 2..

If so how to make DHCP works with Ethernet Web server including SD card?

• 1. Re: Ethernet web server (while using with DHCP) in Arduino IDE not working on Galileo Gen 2
          rgb

Hi Swamy

The Arduino Ethernet library is set up to be used with the Arduino Ethernet shield that uses an SPI interface (pins 10-13) and pin 4 to control the SD card slot so unless someone has done a really fantastic bit of coding that I am not aware of, it won't work with the Galileo that has an Ethernet Physical Layer Transceiver. The web examples that use the Ethernet Server library are rather limited due to the limitations of the Arduino.

Since the Galileo runs a full version  of Linux, if you want to have the Galileo act as a webserver you can use a full package like Apache or Flask, which I use since it allows me to use Python to communicate with the Web Server. Also since the Galileo has a full Linux distribution running on it, it has a full TCP/IP stack, so doesn't have the problems using DHCP like the Arduino.

rgb

• 2. Re: Ethernet web server (while using with DHCP) in Arduino IDE not working on Galileo Gen 2
            Swamy_Govinda

Thanks for the info rgb.

Can any one help me to find out the solution for this?

• 3. Re: Ethernet web server (while using with DHCP) in Arduino IDE not working on Galileo Gen 2
              rgb

Hi Swamy

I thought you were looking for a way to run a web page using the Galileo

If you mean you need help running DHCP on an Arduino with the Ethernet Shield you would be better off going to the Arduino.cc web site as this site is for discussing the Galileo.

I also had problems with using DHCP with an Arduino Uno, and tried several of the suggestions, but none worked either at home or at the University. I finally just used a fixed IP address. If you do a search for the DHCP errror you will find that this has been a longstanding problem and still has not been fixed. My guess would be that there is a timing problem as it seems the local DHCP servers seem to be trying to give the Arduino an IP address, but it isn't picking it up. Fixing it would probably involve redoing part of the library, and there doesn't seem to be any interest in doing so.  If you have a Galileo, can't use a fixed IP and want to have a web page, why not use the Galileo? You would have more storage and a much faster processor. Not to mention that you can easily include images. If you don't want to use the Galileo, another option is to use the ESP8266 WfI adapter with your Arduino and have a wireless connection. There are a number of examples on the net and the ESP8266 handles DHCP. It is also super cheap.

rgb

• 4. Re: Ethernet web server (while using with DHCP) in Arduino IDE not working on Galileo Gen 2
                Swamy_Govinda

Hi rgb,

you said that " If you have a Galileo, can't use a fixed IP and want to have a web page, why not use the Galileo? You would have more storage and a much faster processor. Not to mention that you can easily include images."

But I am already using Intel Galileo Generation 2 only consisting of 16 GB SD card..

Then how to fix this problem (Ethernet Web server using dynamic IP)..

Sorry for the trouble...

But I want to do it in this way only...

Thanks

• 5. Re: Ethernet web server (while using with DHCP) in Arduino IDE not working on Galileo Gen 2
                  rgb

Hi Swamy

I am sorry, but I can't can't figure out what your problem is. Maybe if you would explain what you are trying to do and what problem you are having, it would be clearer.

Are you trying to run the Arduino Ethernet web server on the Galileo?

rgb

• 6. Re: Ethernet web server (while using with DHCP) in Arduino IDE not working on Galileo Gen 2
                    Swamy_Govinda

Hi rgb,

Yes, I am trying to run Ethernet web server on the Galileo G..

It is working with static IP (by connecting Galileo to another computer directly and changing the IP address on the computer according to the Galileo IP address to ensure both are on the same network)..Then at this time I could able to access the webpage provided by Galileo Ethernet web server

But when I connect Galileo to Internet and trying to access the web page provided by Galileo Ethernet web server I am unable to access the web page.

This is my problem...

Thanks for trying to help me...

• 7. Re: Ethernet web server (while using with DHCP) in Arduino IDE not working on Galileo Gen 2
                      rgb

Are you trying to use the Arduino Ethernet shield with with the Ethernet library on the Galileo?

Readme from Ethernet library

= Ethernet Library for Arduino =

With the Arduino Ethernet Shield, this library allows an Arduino board to connect to the internet.

For more information about this library please visit us at

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Ethernet

rgb

• 8. Re: Ethernet web server (while using with DHCP) in Arduino IDE not working on Galileo Gen 2
                        Swamy_Govinda

Thanks for the reply rgb.

Actually you are not understanding my problem..

I am able to connect to Internet using DHCP...

But when i use Galileo as a web server using Ethernet shield I am not able to connect to Internet...

To understand my problem see this discussion  https://communities.intel.com/thread/63202

That link didn't find out any solution to connect Galileo Ethernet Webserver to Internet..

Now I guess you can understand my problem..

Any way thanks for trying to help me....

• 9. Re: Ethernet web server (while using with DHCP) in Arduino IDE not working on Galileo Gen 2
                          rgb

Hi Swamy

Ok Sorry it too so long for me to understand what you are trying to do.

You are trying to use the Galileo, which is emulating an Arduino in software, to run an example that accesses a library that emulates a TCP/IP stack to get an IP address from a DHCP server, even though the library doesn't reliably work on the Arduino and there is a history of some  6 years.of people trying and failing to get it to work. In addition, instead of using the Ethernet transceiver that is directly connected to the CPU you want to use a shield, that connects via SPI that is run through pins that have to be muxed and, if I remember correctly is connected to the CPU via a i2c interface. Right?

Sorry, I can't help you. I would just, again, suggest you use one of the web servers that are available that run on the Galileo and use the Galileo, built-in ethernet port  and the native TCP/IP stack.

regards

rgb