9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 3:19 PM by Nexuslite

I need to recover from lost settings of RAID 0 with ICH9R controller..

ieitani

Hello,

I have a computer with RAID0 with ICH9R controller on the motherboard.

When I have updated my BIOS, I lost the settings to the RAID.

So, I have no access to the data.

I am afraid to reset the RAID in the BIOS because I get a message that I may lose all my ....I think it may format the HDs and I don't want to lose it.

I tried maybe five different software in order to recover my files. Only one of them manage to give me partial solution.

Some of the data came OK, and some are corrupted. Gibrish or Chinese in the flat files, and binary files are not working and did not recover well.

Please give me solution that will be complete for me.

The best will be to reset the RAID from the BIOS but without loosing any data.

Or, do you have  software that will recover all files OK????

Thanks,

Isaac

• 1. Re: I need to recover from lost settings of RAID 0 with ICH9R controller..
          kevin_intel

When updating the BIOS it is going to setup the default BIOS settings depending on the version so it is possible that RAID chipset mode is set back to AHCI.

If this is the case, just access the BIOS and change the Chipset mode from AHCI to RAID. By doing this, your system will recognize al the volume and you will have the data back.

Kevin M

• 2. Re: I need to recover from lost settings of RAID 0 with ICH9R controller..
            ieitani

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your reply.

My BIOS is set back to RAID.

But, the setting of the RAID was after I pass the BIOS message, then click Cntl + I.

When I went there the HDs were not connected.

Then I attempt to reset the RAID, but I get a message that my "..." will be deleted, so I did not mess with it.

I read somewhere that only the meta tables get deleted, and it is information about the RAID.

I am not a PC technician, so I am afraid to make a mess and ruin my data.

The monther board has ICH9R Intel controller.

It is:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_EXTREME

Thank you for your help.

Isaac

• 3. Re: I need to recover from lost settings of RAID 0 with ICH9R controller..
              kevin_intel

Hello ieitani,

If the HDDs are disconnected just reconnect them but if you recreate the RAID volume from CTRL-I it will delete the existent volume on the drivers and all information will be lost.

Kevin  m

• 4. Re: I need to recover from lost settings of RAID 0 with ICH9R controller..
                ieitani

Kevin,

Again thank you for your reply.

The information above don't help me.

I wish to reset the RAID, this is the best situation.

I did attempt to reset them on the controller, and in windows, I could not access unless I will format. I did not.

I have removed the RAID settings, and manage to connect with the RAID software and all was the same like before.

In addition, some software manage to recover some files and folders. and I have another problem.

Some of the files were Encrypted by windows, then I recover them they are with Gibrish or Chinese (as encrypted flat files).

I wish to decrypt them back...

How do I do it?

• 5. Re: I need to recover from lost settings of RAID 0 with ICH9R controller..
                  kevin_intel

The only way to decrypt the information is using the same software that was used to encrypt it or contacting a third party company that provides this type of support.

• 6. Re: I need to recover from lost settings of RAID 0 with ICH9R controller..
                    ieitani

Kevin,

You reply to my messages but yo don't give me any suggestion.

I think you did not read my messages.

I have expressed that I have used the on board controller (ICH9R), and I lost the settings only because I have updated my BIOS.

This is why I came to Intel. As the controller owner, could you give me solution?

Now you know the software that I have used in order to make a RAID.

In the other hand, I could use some help by information of how to decrypt files recovered, which encrypted by windows (Vista 64 bit)?

• 7. Re: I need to recover from lost settings of RAID 0 with ICH9R controller..
                      kevin_intel

When updating the BIOS the Raid structure is not affected at all. You may need to change the Chipset mode from AHCI to RAID but the volume will still be there along with the information.

From our side, we do not have software to recover DATA since we are not responsible for changes customer make on their systems but you can look for 3rd party solutions to recover the information.

If you access CTRL-I and reset the Disks to non RAID, all information will be lost so as I mentioned before, the RAID structure should not be affected at all when updating the BIOS.

I understand the problem you are having but I regret to say there is no way for us to recover the information or decrypt information.

This is a good link that can help you with that:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/encrypt-decrypt-folder-file#1TC=windows-7

• 8. Re: I need to recover from lost settings of RAID 0 with ICH9R controller..
                        RedSun

ieitani wrote:

Kevin,

Again thank you for your reply.

The information above don't help me.

I wish to reset the RAID, this is the best situation.

I did attempt to reset them on the controller, and in windows, I could not access unless I will format. I did not.

I have removed the RAID settings, and manage to connect with the RAID software and all was the same like before.

In addition, some software manage to recover some files and folders. and I have another problem.

Some of the files were Encrypted by windows, then I recover them they are with Gibrish or Chinese (as encrypted flat files).

I wish to decrypt them back...

How do I do it?

The above two are "no, no". If you've tried to reset the RAID and removed the RAID settings, them the old RAID is gone. The data has been lost, I'm afraid.

When you update the BIOS, the best way is to disconnect all RAID members and reset the new BIOS. Them set the BIOS to the settings you had before (for the RAID). Then reconnect all the RAID members. Then you get the RAID back. You can update the BIOS with the RAID, but you are not supposed to reset the BIOS and you may lose the RAID info.

Never, never reset the RAID settings. Then you'll lose RAID info. That is the point of no return.

Also, for important data, you should have data backup at all time. What happens if there is power surge and you lose two of the RAID members? Then the RAID data is gone for good.

There are data recovery services, but they are extremely expensive.

• 9. Re: I need to recover from lost settings of RAID 0 with ICH9R controller..
                          Nexuslite

Don't let any one tell you your data is gone. I've read lots of web sites saying my failed RAID 5 would never give up its data. After several attempts to restore the headers I gave up. However, letting the drives sit for several years, I finally decided I was going to write a program to recover data from the RAID. My program is pretty user unfriendly but it allows you to override header information as my RAID has all three RAID headers destroyed and some of the file system index locations destroyed from trying to sync the drives back up. I have recovered about half of my 2TB raid and still getting more off of it. Unfortunately for you my program only supports the ext file system at the moment but would love to get it to recover any raid formatted with any file system. As long as there is data still on the drives there is a way to recover it.

As for the encrypted files I have nothing for that, that is a whole other program to be written.