5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 11:34 AM by Nixiedesk

NUC5i5RYH No Signal Using HDMI with LG MP67 Series Monitor

andy_uk

Today I bought the NUC5i5RHY (2 x 8GB Transcend RAM 1.35V SO-DIMM 1600 and a Transcend M2.SATA 256GB)

I plugged the NUC into a Samsung TV using a direct mini-HDMI to HDMI cable with appears to be about 2m in length.  Eventually after intermittent signal problems I got ubuntu-15.04-beta2-desktop-i386 image installed by booting from a USB Pen drive.

I am able to get the NUC to boot up using the Samsung TV but my brand new LG Monitor (Model 23MP67HQ - P) just shows "No Signal".  This monitor was tested in the store using HDMI cable with Windows PC so I've seen it working.

On the Samsung TV I'm not able to use F2 to enter into the Bios, but I was able to update the BIOS using the F7 option and manually downloading the flash file on another pen drive.

Question is what the hell do I do now?  I bought the monitor because I thought the TV wasn't working and now I'm stuffed.  I can't tell you how fuming I am.  I mean we can put millions of transistors on a thumbnail sized chip but we can't link a computer to a monitor without this hassle?

I've read numerous similar posts and articles with people griping about HDMI on the NUC.

Can somebody please advise?

Message was edited by: Andy Foster  Adjusted typos

• 1. Re: NUC5i5RYH No Signal Using HDMI with LG MP67 Series Monitor
          Nixiedesk

I've got the i5RYH and also picked up the Asus PB238 monitor as my old HP 20 incher from 6 years or so ago doesn't have HDMI.  Until I figured out the button on the monitor to have it see HDMI (instructions were meh), got a little bit baffled myself. I'm using a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable from Amazon and not having any problems..so far. Running Win 8.1 and it seemed to load the plain vanilla driver for it upon hooking everything up and turning it on.

• 2. Re: NUC5i5RYH No Signal Using HDMI with LG MP67 Series Monitor
            andy_uk

The monitor didn't require any special configuration in the store.  There appears to be only one button to switch it on and on the back are only HDMI socket and one D-Sub port.  I really don't believe it's the monitor.  It could possibly be the HDMI cable.. it's an unbranded one that the store threw in with the NUC.  The monitor came with an HDMI to HDMI cable so I wasn't able to use this with the NUC.

• 3. Re: NUC5i5RYH No Signal Using HDMI with LG MP67 Series Monitor
              Nixiedesk

Could very well be the cable. I have a direct cable..no adapter. Did you use the 2m cable you connected your TV to NUC with your monitor? Sometimes its those things you don't think about that cause the issues. Like a simple cable that might not be quality built. Also to note.. the back receiving port of my NUC where you insert the mini HDMI cable appears to be a tiny bit sloppy or the cable end plug is possibly grounding out so if the inserted cable gets moved, the signal gets lost and screen goes blank. At this point, not a deal breaker though.

• 4. Re: NUC5i5RYH No Signal Using HDMI with LG MP67 Series Monitor
                andy_uk

Here is an update.  I took the NUC5i5RYH to a store with many monitors and used the same 2m mini-HDMI to HDMI lead  to try a bunch of monitors.  I ask the original store and they confirmed that the mini-HDMI to HDMI lead is a 'standard' HDMI cable and not a 'high speed' one.  I got to try the device plus lead with many different brands of monitor.  All Philips and LG did not work with this NUC + lead.  All Samsung models worked fine (I was able to boot into Ubuntu 15 beta and I was also able to see the Intel logo and enter into the Visual BIOS using the F2 key upon boot).

I'm not sure if perhaps the Samsung monitors are more forgiving for the poor quality lead or if this is a HDMI handshake problem.

In any case, as a work around I bought a "prolink Mini DisplayPort Plug TO>HDMI A Plug - MediaPro RANGE".  This has allowed me to use the NUC DisplayPort to the HDMI socket on the LG monitor and I am now able to get into the BIOS and boot into Ubuntu 15 beta.

• 5. Re: NUC5i5RYH No Signal Using HDMI with LG MP67 Series Monitor
                  Nixiedesk

Like that idea andy. I ordered another HDMI cable but after reading your last, might just try out the mini-DisplayPort route. No reason not to.

Sounds like your back on track.