7 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2015 9:07 AM by philip.jacobs

Serial link connection not responding

philip.jacobs

I was using my Edison with serial, wifi, and Intel XDK for IoT fine yesterday. I powered down my laptop (connected to edison with 2 USBs) and today I can connect to the same COM3 but I get no reponse no matter how many times I hit enter. Edison shows up as drive G: in windows explorer.  I've tried removing/re-inserting my USB cables and switching them. But the serial link connection is not responding.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Phil

• 1. Re: Serial link connection not responding
          Intel_Peter

Hello philip.jacobs,

If you connect both USB cables to your Intel® Edison, do you see the Edison's USB Serial Port on your PC's device manager? What was the last thing you were doing with your Edison when it was working correctly?

Peter.

• 2. Re: Serial link connection not responding
            philip.jacobs

Hi Peter,

The last thing I was doing was trying to upload a project from XDK for IoT and getting a ENOTEMPTY error.

I have periodicall been pulling out/reconnecting the USB cables. One time on the serial line I got a weird continual stream of characters but it was unresponsive. After hours of doing this, it randomly started working - I have no idea why. Let me ask about powering down the edison, if I power down the laptop which powers down the edison - is that bad practice or do I need to remember to "poweroff" in the Edison ssh first?

Also, I know that the Edison has a reset button, I was afraid to use it in case it tried to reset code to factory original. What actually happens when the Edison reset is pushed?

Thanks

Phil

• 3. Re: Serial link connection not responding
              Intel_Peter

I honestly don't see how it would affect your board. However I would avoid it, just in case.

Nevertheless, so your issue is only when you try to upload an XDK script into the Edison through SSH, right? Do you have any issues if you try to access your Edison wired? I mean are you able to enter the Edison's Linux console normally if you connect it to your PC?

Peter.

• 4. Re: Serial link connection not responding
                philip.jacobs

Hi Peter,

I resolved my NOTEMPTY issue by removing the directory and its contents on Edison, then the upload would work. It would be nice for the upload operation to not only detect NOTEMPTY but also to fix the problem by deleting the directory and contents and doing the upload, this could be automatic or ask for the user's permission.

My ongoing issue is the connectivity between my PC and Edison using PuTTY or the XDK. The PuTTY serial connection is intermittent - I can try for many hours before managing to get a proper response from Edison. Once I finally manage to get a good serial session setup it lasts all day, and I can upload/run the XDK code. I have never been able to get the XDK SSH or serial to work.

Any suggestions?

Also can you please clarify what the Edison reset button actions are?

Thanks!

Phil

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Serial link connection not responding
                  Intel_Peter

How strong is your network signal? You can see the RSSI of your Edison with the command: "iwconfig wlan0 | grep -i quality".

Also you can find a detailed explanation of the Edison's buttons functions in: Intel® Edison kit for Arduino – Buttons and Switch

Peter.

• 6. Re: Serial link connection not responding
                    CMata_Intel

Hi philip.jacobs

Do you have updates in this? Are you able to work with the XDK without problems?

CMata

• 7. Re: Serial link connection not responding
                      philip.jacobs

Thanks for asking CMata, I haven't tried again recently - I may get back to it in a week or two...