1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2015 4:08 PM by CMata_Intel

Java on Galileo gen 2

Danny28

Hi All,

has anyone tried to put Java on Galileo gen 2?

I'm working with the Yocto Iot devkit image: i've downloaded the last jdk available, but when I run tar zxvf jdk-8u45-linux-i586.tar.gz I get tar: write error: no space left on device ...

Danny

• 1. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
          CMata_Intel

Hi Danny28

What is the outcome of running the command df?

You can also try with the steps in Some hints on Yocto builds for IoT devkit - example: adding Java JRE | Intel® Developer Zone

Regards;

CMata

• 2. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
            mhahn

probably because there is no space left on your device

• 3. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
              Danny28

ehehe I'm supposing the same, but I would really understand why...

I'm booting from a 8GB Sd card, created following these steps IoT - Making a bootable micro SD Card with Windows* | Intel® Developer Zone . I've tried also with a 16Gb sd but I get the same.

Danny

• 4. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
                Danny28

Hi Cmata,

this is what I get after df (at the beginning, first time I boot the Galileo)

Using username "root".

root@galileo:~# df

Filesystem     1K-blocks   Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/root         991896 760268    180428  81% /

devtmpfs          118792      0    118792   0% /dev

tmpfs             118944      0    118944   0% /dev/shm

tmpfs             118944   4436    114508   4% /run

tmpfs             118944      0    118944   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

tmpfs             118944      0    118944   0% /tmp

tmpfs             118944     12    118932   1% /var/volatile

/dev/mmcblk0p1     50412  16287     34126  33% /media/card

I red the post you are pointing to, but before do a Yocto build on my own I would like to know if there is a faster way to get Java...

Thanks,

Danny

• 5. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
                  mhahn

"df -h" would make it easier readable - still you have only 1GB in your root partition. Looks like you haven't resized the partition to take all your SD card.

I would usually just resize on a Linux host (e.g. using gparted - you might use a live Linux for that like GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD). If you want to resize on Windows there might be options like Paragon (see windows 7 - Online, "Smart" Partition Manager with Full Ext4 Support? - Super User); however, at least I don't have experience in ext4 resizing from within Windows at all

• 6. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
                    Danny28

I've tried to resize the partition,but after that seems that Galileo is no longer able to boot from SD ...

I can't also understand why my 8gb sd card look like a 1gb one, after burnig the iod devkit image using win32DiskImager...

• 7. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
                      mhahn

how did you resize? You'd first have to resize the partition and then to check the filesystem then to resize the filesystem - gparted would run all those steps one after another w/o user interaction

• 8. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
                        Danny28

Now I've followed these steps IoT - Making a bootable micro SD Card with Linux* | Intel® Developer Zone (using linux) and at the end this is what i get:

root@galileo:~# cat /etc/version

root@galileo:~# df -h

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/root       969M  743M  177M  81% /

devtmpfs        117M     0  117M   0% /dev

tmpfs           117M     0  117M   0% /dev/shm

tmpfs           117M  4.4M  112M   4% /run

tmpfs           117M     0  117M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

tmpfs           117M     0  117M   0% /tmp

tmpfs           117M   12K  117M   1% /var/volatile

/dev/mmcblk0p1   50M   16M   34M  33% /media/card

should I try to resize again the partition using Gparted?

Danny

• 9. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
                          mhahn

yes, select the 2nd partition and resize to remaining SD card size but leave the 50M first partition untouched

• 10. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
                            Danny28

Yes I tried: I resized the 2nd partition with GParted (untouching the 50M one), but after that, I'm no longer able to connect to my Galileo...

• 11. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
                              CMata_Intel

Hi Danny28

Are you receiving random data in the Serial Console or are you not able to see anything on it?

Did the process went fine or something happened (process stopped, an error while doing it ...) that may caused the "no connection" of the board?

When you check your SD on a PC, what do you get?

Have you tried to boot the board without the SDcard?

Regards;

CMata

• 12. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
                                Danny28

Hi CMata_Intel,

when I try to boot from SD (and after the resizing procedure), I can't see anything from the Serial Console (but this could happen because I'm using the mini usb port and not the 6pin serial one...).

If I start the board without the SD, it works and I can connect via Ethernet.

If I check the SD from the PC, it sees only one partition with 50MB...

Thanks again,

Danny

• 13. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
                                  mhahn

Danny28 wrote:

Hi CMata_Intel,

when I try to boot from SD (and after the resizing procedure), I can't see anything from the Serial Console (but this could happen because I'm using the mini usb port and not the 6pin serial one...).

Thanks again,

Danny

using the mini usb serial you won't see the boot process. And you won't even see anything else unless you explicitly configured serial for it IMHO.

Are you really sure the board doesn't come up with the SD card?

Seeing only 50 MB from Windows (if "PC" = Windows) is expected

• 14. Re: Java on Galileo gen 2
                                    Danny28

mhahn ha scritto:

Danny28 wrote:

Hi CMata_Intel,

Thanks again,

Danny

using the mini usb serial you won't see the boot process. And you won't even see anything else unless you explicitly configured serial for it IMHO.

Before all, I updated a sketch on the Arduino in order to connect to it with Ethernet cable; before resizing SD, I am able to work with the Galileo (but I have this memory space issue as stated before...)

Are you really sure the board doesn't come up with the SD card?

Seeing only 50 MB from Windows (if "PC" = Windows) is expected

Yes, I mean a windows pc

Answers inline.

Thanks again for your answer,

Danny

1 2 Previous Next