1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 3:21 PM by sylvia_intel

SSD RAID 0 speed same as single drive

ghost.florian

Hello,

I recently purchased a pair of Samsung 850 Evo 120GB SSDs to install in a RAID 0 configuration on my system. The specs are:

- Intel Core i5 4690k

- MSI Z97 Gaming 5

- 8 GB DDR3 RAM

After I installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 and installed all drivers (including Intel RST) and updates, I started running some benchmarks and saw that Atto and CrystalDiskMark were showing the exact same speeds I would expect out of a single 850 Evo, namely around 550 MB/s read and 520 MB/s write.

The RAID array is visible in Intel RST, and both drives are fine according to CrystalDiskInfo. 

Can anyone please tell me what is going on ? Is this a Chipset issue ? I tried searching forums for a similar problem but couldn't find anything.

• 1. Re: SSD RAID 0 speed same as single drive
          sylvia_intel

Hello Ghost.florian, thanks for joining the Intel Community.

We regret to inform you that we do not evaluate the performance of the specific RAID configurations used. In this case, if you have concerns about the performance and data transfers on your computer, please refer directly to your computer manufacturer.

Please be aware that the RAID controller on your system is a software RAID solution, which means that the data stripping is calculated by the processor and using the system resources, in addition the performance may be affected by the rest of the software running on the background, the performance test application being used, the type of memory and processor installed and also the settings of the performance tester which may have a big impact on the results.

Regards,