4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 11:36 PM by MarkHaysHarris777

Connecting to Intel Edison without WiFi

captainwalnut94

Hello everyone! I've been trying to send a code from Eclipse IoT to my Intel Edison (simple, isn't it?). The problem is that I can't connect to a wireless network.

Can I send the program to the Edison via cable using the microUSB from Eclipse? If not, is there any alternative to solve it?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Connecting to Intel Edison without WiFi
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi

I don’t think you can send code to Eclipse without an internet connection. You would need to have the board connected to a network to access it. You can transfer the code via cable as well but that would still need an internet connection.

See more details at: Re: Possible to use Eclipse & Edison without WiFi?

If you want to upload code to your board without internet connection you can also try using the Arduino IDE.

Sergio

• 2. Re: Connecting to Intel Edison without WiFi
            captainwalnut94

Hello Sergio, thanks for your repply! We'll try it with de Arduino IDE.

• 3. Re: Connecting to Intel Edison without WiFi
              captainwalnut94

Okay, we're now using Arduino 1.6.0 to program it, but there's a new problem: how can I import the MRAA library? We're not able to accomplish it, help!

• 4. Re: Connecting to Intel Edison without WiFi
                MarkHaysHarris777

Drop the entire idea of using the Arduino IDE... that just complicates things; especially if you're not using the Arduino breakout board.

You can code directly on the Edison. I logon either via the usb cable as a tty terminal (you can use either minicom or screen, or on windows hyperterm).

I use the vi editor and I code directly in C including the "mraa.h" library header and off you go--!  In fact, my latest multifile C project was designed, coded, and tested with nothing but the Intel Edison (powered via usb hub) hanging off of a Raspberry PI !  NO ide, NO skd, NO hassles...  just code compile and go.

Make sure your edison has the latest firmware, and make sure that your edison has the latest mraa library ... it ships with 0.5.2 but needs at least 0.6.2

If you are using the Arduino breakout board, then forget the mraa stuff... just use the Arduino IDE stuff (no problem) except that you will be limited to the Arduino breakout stuff... which isn't all bad sine it does have built-in ADC block available (I had to add mine to my Intel stack from Sparkfun).  If you are not using the Arduino breakout board, forget the Arduino IDE and either code directly on the Edison, or code on your favorite gnu/linux pc and upload your cross compiled codes to the edison, or uplink your sources to the edison for compile and link with the gcc compiler on-board.  The Edison comes with quite a few of the development tools you will need like libtool, automake, autoconf &etc.

Cheers,

marcus