Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Clock_Watchdog_Error

MJohn31
Beginner

I built my pc 6 weeks ago, it worked well for 4 weeks.Then while playing a game it crashed giving my the clock watchdog error first and then the whea uncorrectable error. I have tried for the last 2 weeks to fix these error with no luck. I tried to use the Intel Tuning software but it shuts down and says that the clock watchdodg driver has reset. The problem with this is that I only have windows and the tuning software installed. I checked the error message with blue screen viewer and it says that a core timed out and that there is thermal issue. While just in my bios the core temp 100F. I think there is something seriously wrong with the processor. I can turn the computer on but if I try to do anything like install updates the computer crashes. I have tried the Windows forums since it gives a windows error. Any help that anyone can give would be appreciated.

My computer specs:

I7 4790K

Asus Maximus Hero VII

240 gb Kingston HyperX SSD ( which I have to RMA) It freezes and won't let me install anything on it.

3TB Western Digital HDD

16 gb Corsair Vengeance Pro Ram

EVGA GTX 980

EVGA G2 1000 watt PSU

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please contact a local http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel support representative for warranty replacement.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi MelissaJ, is your system overclocked? How does it run if the BIOS settings are reset back to default?

Is the temperature 100 °F or 100 °C?

Is your BIOS up to date?

Please run the http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

0 Kudos
MJohn31
Beginner

I do not know if my system is overclocked. In the bios I only have the option to set to optimized defaults. So every thing is on auto. I can not run the intel diagnostic tool because the system freezes as soon as I move the mouse. And I keep getting the clock watchdog error saying that there was a timeout on one of the processor cores.The literature is 100f. Which I find odd since all I'm doing is looking at the bios.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It is good you have tested with default values in BIOS. On the other hand 100 °F = 37.7 °C, therefore the temperature seems to be fine; unless it is 100 °C, in which case you may want to check this link: or this one:

Did you test the RAM somehow? Do you know the clock speed and voltage the RAM is using?

0 Kudos
MJohn31
Beginner

Yes I have tested the ram using memtest. I have my ram running at 1333 mhz right now it 2400mhz ram. The voltage is 1.5v. The temperature is 100f so that is good.The bios is the latest version. I am at a lost.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please contact a local http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Intel support representative for warranty replacement.

0 Kudos
MJohn31
Beginner

Thank you for trying to help me I appreciate it. I will contact support asap.

0 Kudos