Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Interpretation of POST LED displays missing in documentation.

SNaik2
Beginner

After some initial hiccups, I was able to get the Intel motherboard to at least power up. Now it does not start the boot process. I tried to understand the LED displays which explain problems encountered during Power-On-Self-Test(POST). I get the following code: 00101011. That is Amber LED No. 5 is on and so are Green LEDs no. 0, 1 and 3. However, the mother board product technical specification document, does not list an explanation for this code. Need to know what is wrong with the motherboard or which component is faulty. To make sure that I was not getting the bits wrong, I tried to boot without the RAM and the diagnostic LED did show the applicable POST code.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AChan85
New Contributor I

What board??

Do not understand why you try to boot the board without any RAM. That would be certainly no boot and you won't get any meaningful diagnosis info....

0 Kudos
SNaik2
Beginner

I tried to boot without RAM only to see if the POST LED reading I was doing was indeed right. The problem that I HAD is the there was no explanation to the POST LED error reading I was getting. I got the answer in another forum (superuser.com). The problem was that I did not have the correct Intel approved Memory module. The LED diagnosis code (2B in Hex) corresponds to (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Reference_Code Memory Reference Code) range.

0 Kudos
CToed
Beginner

Which Mainboard do you use?

0 Kudos
SNaik2
Beginner

I am using Intel S1200v3RPS motherboard. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

0 Kudos