Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Buffer overrun detected! when starting Call of Duty (1.0)

MMust7
Novice

Hello Intel,

I have an Intel i5 3210M CPU with an Intel HD 4000 graphics core. Since driver version 15.33.22.64.3621 (published ~May 2014) the game crashes shortly after starting CoDSP.exe (Singel Player) or CoDMP.exe (Multiplayer). So the game tries to start up and immediately crashes (black screen, Windows error sound, "hidden" error message):

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Program: .......(path)\Call of Duty\CoDSP.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated."

Google told me that I'm not the only one with the same problem:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3238163 Call of Duty 1 Buffer Overrun Detected - Steam Users' Forums

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2620/discussions/0/558756256323756242/?insideModal=1# c540743032455384127 Buffer Overrun Error :: Call of Duty General Discussions

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/microsoft-visual-c-runtime-library-buffer-overrun/bb1cb707-622d-4fc6-b46d-c2bb4dec6207 Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Buffer Overrun - Microsoft Community

AMD & Nvidia had also this issue some time ago but they fixed it obviously in their drivers (e.g. Nvidia in v195.39, see changelog).

I tested a lot things which might help you to solve this problem:

1) All drivers since 15.33.22.64.3621 (inclusiv) cause this issue (also the latest 15.33.35.64.4176 ! )

2) With driver version 15.33.14.64.3412 (and older) the game works flawlessly and therefore doesn't crash.

---> There must have been a change between these two version which causes these crashes since this point in time.

3) There is a workaround for the problematic driver versions (http://steamcommunity.com/app/2620/discussions/0/558756256323756242/?insideModal=1# c540743032455384127 see SteamCommunity): copying and changing the name of one of the two "game-lauchers" (CoDSP.exe/CoDMP.exe) into "mohaa.exe" solves the problem when a problematic driver version (15.33.22.64.3621 and above) is installed!!! This is quite crazy. Mohaa should stand for the computer game "Medal of Honor: Allied Assault". However when using a random name like abc.exe the game crashes again while starting...

---> It looks like renaming the .exe's to mohaa.exe forces the driver to use an internal driver profile (created by Intel for MoHAA), which is obviously also compatible with Call of Duty (1). Therefore this workaround makes it possible to use the latest Intel graphics driver(s) with Call of Duty 1. I know, this sounds quite crazy...but it is like that 😉

Can you please have a look at this driver issue and change it in the next release? It looks like resolving this issue shouldn't be that complicated for Intel engineers.

PS: I use Windows 7 x64 Professional and the retail version of CoD1 without Steam... but Steam users are probably also bothered (see my links above).

Thank you very much!

38 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for reporting this problem. I am currently researching on this issue. As soon as I can, I will send you a message with my findings.

Allan.

0 Kudos
MMust7
Novice

Okay! Looking forward to hear from you. Let me know if you need further information (e.g. logs).

0 Kudos
CSepu
Beginner

I´m having the same issues with windows 8 and 8.1 computers... we have various lenovo with intel hd graphics, and we used to play Call of Duty United Offensive and now we all get the buffer overrun message, We play the game on Steam, and there´s plenty of people there with the same problem.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for reporting this problem. I am still waiting from our engineering team in order to update this thread.

Allan.

0 Kudos
MMust7
Novice

Hi allan & robert,

this topic is in 9 days 2 months old. Any news??

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The engineering department will post updates to this thread as they become available.

Allan.

0 Kudos
SMarí
Beginner

Hello,

Any fix on this? I'm having the same problem.

Intel HD 4000 Graphics with a Intel Core i7 3520M, Windows 7 Home Premium

Thanks in advance for your answer!

0 Kudos
MMust7
Novice

Just wanted to add that the latest driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24973/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit 15.33.36.64.4226 didn't change the behaviour... however our problem isn't mentioned in KNOWN ISSUES section 😞

0 Kudos
MMust7
Novice

Still no answer and no driver update 😞 It can't be difficult to fix when renaming the single/multiplayer .exe to mohaa.exe does the trick...! Common Intel!!

0 Kudos
MMust7
Novice

Still no answer and no driver update which solves the issue 😞 I have also tried 15.33.39.4276.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

All,, we are investigating the issue and will post updates to this thread.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ZAhme3
Beginner

Hi,

just to make things clear a bit. Yes I am having the same problem. I have no problem using me discrete graphics (NVidia) but I am facing the problem with my HD 4600 (i7-4810mq), this should narrow down the cause to driver related issues, because I don't think this a performance issue ( the game is very very old with very low requirement ). Pls let me know if you need the log files, I would be happy to give them to you to investigate.

Zune

0 Kudos
EEdu
Beginner

Hi,

I'm having the same problem (HD 4600 with i7 4790k).

Looking forward to hearing from you intel.

Regards,

0 Kudos
SMurp5
Novice
0 Kudos
EEdu
Beginner

Thank you Steven284, but in that thread the problem was about a lost library in the ati graphic card's driver. They don't talk about intel graphics.

Regards,

0 Kudos
SMurp5
Novice

Thanks I can research some more - Best Regards.

0 Kudos
PO1
Beginner

I just bought this game on Steam and I'm having the same issue. I'm using

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHZ

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

The CoD Franchise is on sale and I expect there will be some interest in this topic.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I do not see CoD listed here: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intelhdgraphics4600/sb/CS-034993.htm 4th Generation Intel® Core&# 153; Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4600 — Playable Games List for Intel® HD Graphics 4600

It may be that is not compatible with your graphics controller or has not been officially tested with your graphics controller nor Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Allan.

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

searching the registry will find you the list of exe file names the driver look for e.g "@NFS11.exe" some are written into the driver code

adding the game exe to the registry will force the Intel GPU to disable optimizations that can cause some games to crash

if the game workers when using the Microsoft basic render device then a fault in the driver is causing the application to crash

debugging options are available in the driver to help find the cause of the problem

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information, as far as I know, Intel does not customize graphics drivers. That feature request was passed to engineering team and if there are news, they will post them there.

Allan.

0 Kudos