cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will the intel ssd migration software work with the 750 SSD AIC?

zyuan2
New Contributor II

will the intel ssd migration software work with the 750 SSD PCI-E add in card?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello zhe1274,

The Intel® Data Migration Software will not work for this purpose. It is important that uEFI drivers and BIOS settings be used with NVMe devices. Existing OS installs are unlikely to have these settings. A fresh install is recommended. Please check this link: http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/CS-035483.htm Intel® SSD 750 Series — Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello zhe1274,

The Intel® Data Migration Software will not work for this purpose. It is important that uEFI drivers and BIOS settings be used with NVMe devices. Existing OS installs are unlikely to have these settings. A fresh install is recommended. Please check this link: http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/CS-035483.htm Intel® SSD 750 Series — Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

zyuan2
New Contributor II

i saw that, but as it says "a fresh install is recommended", but i don't see that it is necessary.

couldn't i just migrate to the 750 and then install the drivers and change bios settings before taking out my old 730 ssd?

also it states while installing the operating system, the drive format is expected to be GPT, is there a benefit for the 750 SSD to GPT over MBR aside from the MBR 2 TB limitation?

also, while looking to pre-order a 750 SSD, they all seem to be listed as 2.5 inch form factor in the listing descriptions, how do i know which ones are the PCI HHHL add in cards and which are the 2.5" standard such as the 730 SSD? would like to know the different model # for each.

thanks for your time!

Hi zhe1274,

The problem is that your current OS was installed with the SATA driver as the boot driver. If you migrate to the 750 the OS will no longer boot so you can't install the NVMe driver. It's kind of a chicken and egg problem.

GPT is required for booting when the BIOS is set to UEFI so you will want to use GPT.

I'm a bit surprised by your comments about the sales listings. Ads for the add-in card models should not mention 2.5". Can you post some links that show the add-in card models as 2.5"?