1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 12:25 PM by joe_intel

Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix

Jjonny2

I have a nuc d54250wyk. It is connected directly to my Samsung tv ua55hu7000 via hdmi which provides the graphics and audio.

The nuc is used as a HTPC

I leave the nuc on permanently but turn off the TV when not using it.  When I turn the TV back on, the audio sources are lost and a red Cross is placed across the sound icon at the bottom right of the screen. I need to reboot each time I want the audio to start working again.

This seems to be a recognised problem. See here: https://communities.intel.com/mobile/mobile-access.jspa#jive-content?content=%2Fapi%2Fcore%2Fv3%2Fcontents%2F162237

It does not appear intel has a solution or is taking steps to address it.

People have suggested hdmiyo and to turn off anynet cec on the TV. Both suggestions do not work.

I am very disappointed with this given the money and effort gone to with this nuc

Intel, please confirm there is a workable solution now in place for this problem

• 1. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
          Jjonny2

Still awaiting a response from intel...

• 2. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
            Jjonny2

Still nothing from intel

Is it fair to assume intel has produced a system that does not work with new TV's??

Intel please respond with a solution

• 3. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
              Mgear

Be assured intel doesn't care they do a lot of promises and blame others for their faults. The time intel was a quality company with quality products seems to be something of the past. Check the cir issue, false promises over and over, such easy things to fix but engineering blames others instead of fixing an easy typo in the bios.

• 4. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
                Jjonny2

Agreed

I am astounded at Intel ignoring this problem for over two years.

I have directly pm'd Intel suport reps and I get simply ignored. 

This is clearly a design flaw that Intel refuses to deal with.  I would prefer them to respond saying that this problem cannot be fixed and they will honour a refund.

But to simply not acknowledge the issue makes it all the worse

• 5. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
                  LordHelmut

Same here on my Haswell NUC. I bought a new Broadwell i3 hoping it would fix the issue, but that one causes the ARC channel on my TV to completely crash and my soundbar disconnects totally, and NOTHING plugged in has audio until I unplug the NUC's HDMI. How does a device so well designed as an HTPC not work with home theaters and TVs at all? Returned the new NUC and bought an Alienware Alpha and put 8.1/Media Center on it. Let's hope Nvidia knows how to make HDMI actually work properly. Intel doesn't.

• 6. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
                    allan_intel

@Jjonny2

If you have tried BIOS update, using direct video cables, remove and reinstall graphics drivers and audio drivers and you still have sound issues, I recommend contacting Intel Customer Support and request warranty for your NUC.

Online warranty:Service Request Email

Chat support:  http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

Allan.

• 7. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
                      LordHelmut

I already returned the NUC5i3MYBE. I found at least 3 other people with the EXACT same issue online, the sound plays through the TV speakers, but  when I enable the Audio Return Channel to use a soundbar or receiver, it blows up ARC and nothing works until I disconnect the NUC. One had a Panasonic plasma, one had a Sony, I have an LG OLED. Same issue. I just built the NUC last week, everything was updated. After 2 bad experiences, I'm done. The Alienware Alpha I bought with an Nvidia GPU works flawlessly. So, hope this helps give your engineers something to go on. I still will use NUCs as desktops, just can't recommend as HTPCs.

• 8. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
                        Jjonny2

Allan, what is Intel's solution to the numerous complaints and issues identified the thread I linked in my first post?

I have tried each of your suggestions to no avail

There are numerous examples of the same problem littered throughout the internet. People have purchased costly Gefen Hdmi Detective Plus units to prevent the nuc thinking the TV is in standby and removing the presence of audio from the system. This has not worked.

You cannot simply shift responsibility to.another department. This is a known ongoing unresolved issue for 2 years.

Why is this occurring?

What is Intel's solution?

What steps have and are being taken to resolve this?

Which teams are working on this and at what levels?

You will no doubt appreciate the frustration this causes

• 9. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
                          Mgear

Johnny2,

I know it is not what you want perse to hear but a solution could be to make use of a so called cec adapter, this because intel nuc's dont have build in cec. You can take a look at pulse-eight.

Another solution could be to make use of kodibuntu or openelec with kodi (xbmc). With the cec-adapter it will set your nuc into sleep when you turn your tv out.

The problem you have is i think as follow:

You have a tv with cec, your soundbar also has cec ? When you put your tv into sleep mode the soundbar wil get in sleepmode too. When you activate your tv the soundbar will turn ok due the cec. The nuc you have to wake up manually, but somehow it still remembered the sound device is turned off. With the cec adapter you wont have that problem because when you turn off your tv all devices will get into sleep incluiding your nuc. I have myself a same setup and it works flowless here. Perhabs give it a try!

• 10. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
                            Jjonny2

Thanks mgear. Much appreciated. So frustrating that intel, the manufacturer, is just unwilling to help. I really am surprised by their apathy

• 11. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
                              hans2

hello

do you have:

1. "hdmi audio without video" enabled in intel gpu settings?

2. "turn off the display after" disabled in windows power plan settings?

d34010 24/7, denon avr, samsung tv

regards

• 12. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
                                tonydlo

Not sure if this is really going to help, but moving up to the latest graphics drivers (15.36.18.4156) solved my audio issues.

My configuration is:

NUC D34010   --HDMI-->   Denon AVR   --HDMI-->   BenQ W1070 projector

I can now flawlessly turn on/off my Denon AVR and BenQ W1070 projector in any order and the audio will correctly reset and configure itself for the devices. Before the latest driver it was random whether the audio would reset or require a NUC reboot.

In bypass mode (Denon off), the audio configures itself to regular 2-stereo sound. When the Denon AVR is on, the audio reconfigures itself to support all the features of the Denon (DTS, Dolby, etc.). One thing to note however, and I don't know if it's relevant. I keep the Denon configuration in Windows to regular 2-stereo sound. Since I use audio pass-through mode for all of my TV/Movie watching (Plex, PowerDVD, etc.), I still get DTS, Dolby, etc. when the TV/Movie supports it. Otherwise it's pumped through as stereo and I let the Denon mix the surround.

• 13. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
                                  Jjonny2

Alas updating to latest drivers did not solve it

• 14. Re: Disappointed  - Audio problem intel won't fix
                                    Jjonny2

Have private messaged Kevin and Allan from intel but they do not respond

Strangely they respond to other messages on the forum

Quite shocked at the way intel ignores this fundamental problem

1 2 3 Previous Next